HCL to launch 3G tablet ‘Y2’ at Rs 18,000

• Thread starter Thread starter ssparikshya
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 1
  • Views Views: Views 1,877

ssparikshya

Reaction score
NEW DELHI: IT major HCL Infosystems on Tuesday said it will launch a third generation (3G) tablet PC in August this year for around Rs 18,000.

"The code name of the product is Y2 and it will be launched in August," HCL Infosystems Executive VP and Head (Mobility) Gautam Advani told reporters here.

He said the company enjoys 15 per cent market share in the overall tablet market while in the sub-Rs 10,000 category, it is around 50 per cent.

HCL Infosystems entered the tablet market in October last year with the launch of 'Me Tab X1' at Rs 10,990.

The company launched another tablet 'U1' priced at Rs 7,999 in April this year.

Advani said 'Me tablets' have been in the market for eight months and the company is getting good responce from consumers.
HCL Infosystems today launched two models under its beanstalk range of AIO (All in One) PCs in a price range of Rs 37,908-Rs 33,696 and smart series laptop at Rs 20,990.

Powered by second generation Intel core processors, both models sports features like a 47 cm LED backlit and anti glare display.

"HCL Infosystems has a strong tradition in consumer computing products and today with the unveiling of the first set of consumer computing 2012 products we are taking another significant step as a manufacturer of computing devices," HCL Infosystems VP and Head Consumer Computing Princy Bhatnagar said.

Asked if the company will bid for manufacturing 'Aakash 2', the enhanced version of world's cheapest tablet PC, Advani said the company can decide only after seeing specifications for the upgraded version.

Telecom minister Kapil Sibal had said that specifications for 'Aakash 2' would be out by the end of June.

'Aakash' was launched in October last year by Sibal. It comes with a price tag of Rs 2,276 only whereas high-end tablet PCs cost anything between Rs 25,000 and Rs 40,000. However, ever since the launch, the project has been running behind schedule.

'Aakash' is being supplied to students at a subsidised rate of Rs 1,500 and the government is keen to launch the upgraded version at similar prices as its predecessor.

TOI

HCL to launch Y2, 3G ICS tablet in August

HCL has had a presence in the laptop, desktop and all in one market in India for quite some time now. It has also tried to make its presence felt in the budget tablet market as well.

Recently HCL launched the Me Tab X1 (read our review) and the Me Tab U1 (read our review) in the Indian market.

Now, HCL plans to launch another tablet based on Google’s latest mobile OS, Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. The device is expected to cost Rs. 15,000 and be available in August 2012. The tablet, called the Y2, will not only support Wi-Fi but 3G SIM capabilities straight out of the box as well. Other expected specifications of the device include a 1GHz Arm Cortex A8 processor, 512 MB RAM and access to HCL Me App Store from where users can download applications.

Gautam Advani, executive vice president, head mobility at HCL Info Systems said, "HCL will be launching an Android Ice Cream Sandwich based 7 inch tablet, code named Y2, with Wi-Fi and 3G (SIM slot) capabilities in August for Indian consumers. The price of the tablet will be revealed during the launch time but it will be priced less than Rs 15,000.”

In the past HCL has removed the Google Play store from the X1 and the U1 Me Tabs, which has been its greatest disappointment. We wish that HCL gives users access to the Google Play store along with the HCL Me App Store in the Y2.

Digit

Back
Top Bottom