Haroon Lorgat reflects on Annual Conference 2011

Reaction score
On this week's ICC Cricket World radio show, ICC Chief Executive Haroon Lorgat speaks exclusively on the successful staging of the ICC Annual Conference week in Hong Kong, which finished on Thursday.

Mr Lorgat was happy overall with the week of activities, decisions and developments at the end of which he believed the sport had emerged stronger than ever before.

"I am very, very satisfied at the constructive debates we have had. There were some difficult issues to deal with and I think we dealt with them extremely well. There is lots that's been achieved in my view and without doubt the game is extremely well-positioned to take advantage of good growth. Top of my mind is the issue of member boards now having to reshape their constitutions to meet the criteria of free elections and no interference from their government bodies. I think the understanding or the appreciation of the need for such a clause is very good."

The ICC Executive Board which met during the Annual Conference Week also decided to revert to the 14-team format for the ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 and also decided to maintain a 12-team format for ICC World Twenty20 for 2012 and 2014.

"There is no doubt that was a sore point following the meeting in April when the Board decided to reduce the World Cup to 10 teams. We took that on board. We sat and listened to all of the arguments and we have reverted to a 14-team Cricket World Cup in 2015 and 12 teams for World Twenty20 in 2012 and 2014. So essentially we have now gone back to the previous formats that we had used in both the World Cup and World Twenty20. And I think on balance people are satisfied with that although some of the Associates and Affiliates are disappointed by the fact that the World Twenty20 event will have 12 teams, not 16."

Mr Lorgat was also happy that an agreement was reached to set universal standards for usage of the Decision Review Systems (DRS) for Test matches and One-Day Internationals.

The show can be used in whole or part by radio stations that want free cricket content for editorial use, while the public can also download it straight from www.icc-cricket.com or from iTunes.

The show also includes an exclusive interview of Australia vice-captain Shane Watson who conducted a coaching clinic in Hong Kong during the ICC Annual Conference.

Watson says about his experience: "I got a really good perspective on the Associate countries and how they are trying to promote the game. There is no doubt that in a lot of Associate countries cricket is not a traditional sport, it's very hard to break through. It's really opened up my eyes to see the impact that I could have as an individual and also as part of the Australian team to help in the continued promotion of the game."

Currently the world's best all-rounder, according to Reliance ICC Rankings, is thrilled about the prospect of one day playing in China if the game continues to develop in the world's most populous country.

"It would be pretty amazing I think. If we are able to get it into the Chinese psyche that they can embrace the game of cricket, it would be pretty amazing to have well over a billion people watching the game. There is no doubt that seeing India and China going together, if China are able to produce a competitive team, would be pretty amazing for the marketers as well. They would be loving to see the opportunity to see how the TV rights goes then."

Watson has also been at the forefront of ICC's partnership with Room to Read as an ambassador to provide an opportunity to those underprivileged with a chance to learn.

"It's made me continue to realise how lucky I have been in my life to have the opportunities that I have from when I was born. To be able to see young kids, who don't really have the opportunities that I have had, it's really made me passionate to help promote literacy and reading. So, it's been amazing to see the people that we have been able to reach, the young kids that we have been able to reach, well over 20,000 people, giving them an opportunity to be able to read, provide an education through reading."

Apart from these exclusive interviews, there is the usual round up of cricketing news and an update of the Reliance ICC Player Rankings.

This show is 20-minute audio show and has been put together by the ICC's global broadcast partner, ESPN STAR Sports.

http://icc-cricket.yahoo.net/newsdetails.php?newsId=16129_1309531980

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock