Google takes on Skype, FaceTime with new video-calling app Duo

• Thread starter Thread starter Sarkar
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 19
  • Views Views: Views 1,711

Sarkar

Reaction score
SAN FRANCISCO: Knock, knock, Google's video chatting app has arrived.
The app, dubbed Duo, represents Google's response to other popular video calling options, including Apple's FaceTime, Microsoft's Skype and Facebook's Messenger app.
Duo isn't much different from the other video chatting services, except that it gives a glimpse at who is making the call, helping the recipient decide whether to answer. Google calls this feature, "Knock, knock."

The new app, announced in May, is being released Tuesday as a free service for phones running on Google's Android operating system as well as Apple's iPhones.

Like FaceTime for iPhones, Duo only requires a person's phone number to connect. Many other services require both participants to have account logins to use their video-calling options.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ideo-calling-app-Duo/articleshow/53718138.cms

Screenshot_2016_08_16_18_36_36.jpg
Searched on play. Need to register.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.tachyon

I side loaded it. Registration works in India too. Need to try a video call, as of now no one in my contacts is using the app.
32bb078bb5b9e31fec238f9464aca752.jpg

Tried a video call on the app. Quality is just Ok on 3G. Need to see if it's any better on Wi-Fi.

ilikered said:
Tried a video call on the app. Quality is just Ok on 3G. Need to see if it's any better on Wi-Fi.

How much 3G speed is required ?  As in India 3G speed varies from 200 Kbps to peak 11 Mbps, that's why asking ?  :shy

Sarkar said:
How much 3G speed is required ?  As in India 3G speed varies from 200 Kbps to peak 11 Mbps, that's why asking ?  :shy
At least 1mbps is required for a good quality call I guess!

Back
Top Bottom