Google Photos News and Updates

• Thread starter Siva
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 127
  • Views: Views 20,162
Google had rolled out shared albums for Google Photos in December last year. Now, the company is adding the ability for users to comment on photos in shared albums.

Users can now comment on an entire albums or a single photo that has been shared with them without leaving the app. Just for a quick reminder albums can be shared by simply tapping the share button in the app and then send the auto-copied link it generates to others.

Next up, Google Photos is also getting smart suggestions in this update. This feature will now suggest which photos to add to a Shared Album from your camera roll. Users will be able to add all the recommended photos to an album in one tap or select individual ones. It determines photos on the basis of time and place. Smart suggestions apply to anyone who has been given access to the album and can add photos.

These features are rolling out now on Android,
iOS, and web . Earlier in March, Google Photos was updated with some UI tweaks and improved navigation.

Google Photos adds ability to comment on shared photo albums

What photo manager doesn't let you show off images in a slideshow? Google Photos, it turns out. If this is news to you, then you're finding out right at the moment when the situation is changing. Google Photos has now added a slideshow option.

I don't need to explain slideshows to you. You've been watching computer programs automatically cycle through images since the days software came on floppy disks. The Google Photos experience isn't going to blow your mind.

Except you can send your slideshow to a TV using Google Cast. Connecting to a Chromecast isn't anything new, but now you can have everyone in the room see your photos without having to switch them manually or show them off using Backdrop. So there you go.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/06/16/google-photos-now-lets-view-images-slideshow/

Google Photos is still trying to find the best ways to reconcile between your locally stored photos and your cloud photos in the most seamless and least intrusive way. Over the year since its launch, it made deleting photos, from inside the app itself, simultaneous between cloud and local storage. Then it made it possible to empty your phone's storage if you've already backed up photos, so you don't run out of space on your phone.

And now there's a new feature that's been popping up since the latest update to version 1.23 of the app that offers to sync deleted photos. Say you took a few photos on your phone and they're already backed up to Google Photos. Then you went through another gallery app (if you use the Samsung or LG or HTC Gallery apps or another third-party client) and deleted the ones you didn't want to keep. The images would still be backed up in your Google Photos account.

Now, Photos is smart to realize that this has happened and suggests it removes them too. For example, you may want to do that for burst photos that you don't want in your account or for random shots that you only needed for a couple of days. But you don't want to do that for photos that you want to save but just removed because you're freeing up space on your device. That's why it's great that this is an optional card and not an automatic action.

Now I'm going to sit and pray that someone fixes the duplicate cloud/local Photos issue on the Galaxy S7/S7 Edge, and that Google Photos finally adds a smart duplicate detection algorithm to suggest removing similar but not exactly identical photos.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/06/25/delete-photos-phone-google-photos-now-suggests-also-deleting-backups/

Google Photos already makes sharing multiple photos easy. Just select the photos and videos you want to send, tap the Get link button, and send that link to anyone you’d like. The problem is, not everyone uses Google Photos, and sometimes you want to send that same link to different people through different services. Now you can, thanks to a new update that’s rolling out as we speak.

Now when you click the share button, you’ll be able to select the people you’d like to share with, instead of selecting the app you’d like to share with. Say, for instance, you’d like to share photos with three different friends. If they’re on Google Photos, they’ll get a Photos notification. If you normally share to a friend via SMS, they’ll get an SMS with a link to the photos. The same goes for email. This way you no longer need to switch between applications to send photos to different people. Here’s the new feature in action:

Google Photos is also getting better at automatic creations. In the past, Photos was able to create unique videos using your recently uploaded photos and videos. Now Google is taking that idea one step further and introducing automatic movies based on creative concepts. So instead of throwing together a short video of random photos with music on top, Photos will now create a something a little more appealing. The video below shows off one of the first concepts, which is designed to show your child growing up before your eyes:

More concepts will be on the way this week. Google says it will introduce a concept that commemorates the good times from this summer, and another one for formal events like weddings.

Both of these updates are rolling out now on Android, iOS and the web.

http://www.androidauthority.com/google-photos-sharing-improvements-717150/

Google is always looking to improve Google Photos – a cloud-based app that lets you store unlimited images and videos (for free if 16 megapixels). With the latest update, Google Photos will bring you more meaningful throwbacks, more action-packed animations, and suggested rotations for awkward sideways photos.

I love using Google Photos – I take lots of photos with my Galaxy S7 edge, and I rarely film super high quality videos. That means Google will let me store all my images and videos on its cloud-based app for free. And it even lets me free up my device storage by automatically deleting stored media. The app also has some nifty features like “Rediscover Your Memories” – kind of like Facebook’s “On This Day” throwback feature – and “Animation,” where it takes your photos and creates a GIF-like file for you.

Well, with the latest update, Google Photos is getting a lot smarter. The app will now recognize faces that appear frequently in your recent photos and videos and try to bring back memories with those people in them. For instance, if it sees a lot of recent photos with you and your boyfriend, it will bring back old photos of you two together when you were awkward teenagers in a budding relationship.

Google Photos is getting a lot smarter. The app will now recognize faces that appear frequently in your recent photos and videos and try to bring back memories with those people in them.
It will also give you highlights of your favorite people: if it notices that you’ve been taking lots of pictures of your baby, it will aggregate the best photos of your baby and show them to you as recent highlights. In terms of its “Animation” feature, Google now looks at your videos as well – especially action-packed videos – and creates the best short animations for you to share.

The feature that I’m most excited about is, however, the suggested rotation feature. I hate it when my phone takes photos in the wrong orientation, and it happens more than you think. It’s kind of a hassle to go into edit mode and rotate them individually. Google Photos now suggests rotations for those annoying sideways photos – all you have to do is review the suggested photos and then click one button, and the app does everything for you!

http://www.androidauthority.com/google-photos-rotate-sideways-pictures-721776/

The face detection feature in Google Photos is exceptionally good at picking people out of crowds and identifying known faces in very low resolution pictures. There are even some pretty killer algorithms for selecting pictures to use in collages and animations, but when it comes to choosing cover photos for those detected faces, it's not always perfect. Fortunately, Google Photos now allows users to select a different "feature photo" for contacts in face detection.

To make a trade, just tap on one of the thumbnails in the list of detected faces (tap the search bar to get there quickly), then hit the overflow menu and look for the "Change feature photo" command. You'll see a photo picker with all of the images containing the person. Choose one and you're done. The resulting thumbnail will be automatically centered on the identified face.

Changing featured photos was technically added around the release of v2.0 in September, but only in the iOS version. (Yeah, I know, heresy.) Strangely, it was left out of several subsequent releases for Android. A few tests seems to show that it didn't work on anything below the v2.5 release in early December. Even when that version came out, the menu option didn't show up when we checked for new features. It was likely enabled with a server-side switch sometime in December, or maybe even in the last few days. Of course, some users may have had it for a few weeks while others are only just now seeing it.

Version 2.6 is already a couple of weeks old, but if it hasn't gone into wide release for everybody yet, it can be downloaded at APK Mirror.

Suggested Sharing and Shared Libraries are rolling out in Google Photos today

Google announced a few cool things were coming to Google Photos back at I/O, but there was no date for the rollout. Apparently today is the day. Both Suggested Sharing and Shared Libraries are rolling out to all devices, employing Google's machine learning muscle to make it easier to share photos with friends and family.

Suggested Sharing will be available in the new Sharing tab, which tracks all your photo sharing activity.
Suggested Sharing and Shared Libraries are rolling out in Google Photos today

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock