Sad News Google Photos is discontinuing Unlimited Free Storage from 1st June 2021

Guys, its over and we have to get over it. Google has given this benefit for free to us to perfect their AI analytic engine (though very very much costly for them in real). Now that they have got that (or may be abandoned them -- least possible) achieved, they are withdrawing this facility. It is not the end of world and we can not blame google much, imho as almost they are the only one this big who are offering for UL and FREE (even with zero competition).

Next step we need to take is just go for phone with micro SD slot, preferably a dedicated one and take backup whenever we get chance like say twice or thrice a year. It will be very easy for instant transfer those pics to new phone, as no need for PC -- just swap the card to new phone, simple.

Phone makers wants us to believe that, SD cards are not durable and can break at any time. Friends, believe me, the reality is not that much scarier. I have been using one 128GB Sandisk micro SD card from 2016 (got on offer, but still not so cheap) -- Samsung A9 Pro (2016) --> Samsung C9 PRO (2017) --> Asus MaxPro M1 (2018) --> Poco F1 (2019) to Samsung Note10 Lite (TODAY). It is still going strong. Upgrade to new card (after obvious backup), if you feel the storage is behaving weirdly. But, those chances are very slim. Call me lucky, I have always upgraded to new card, only due to capacity constraints. My old 64GB card (from 2014 used in Lenovo P1 first) is still working fine in my Mom's Asus MaxPro M1 phone (my old phone).

For those using "Higher end" phones with no micro SD slot or Hybrid Slot with 2 SIMs, get the 2in1 OTG thumb drive. Even though I am Google One subscriber for years, from my experience -- Cloud is NOT the total solution, it's just a great convenience and it will never be FREE forever. Cloud is good, if you are willing to pay for it, else offline solutions is the King, imho.

Last edited:
Revisiting this thread since the deadline reached. Hopefully everyone affected has already backed up and downloaded their photos.

So unlimited storage for original resolution gone for Pixel device also.

Nytm3XC.png

I am thinking of converting my wife's one of her numbers (Jio Prepaid / Airtel Postpaid) to e-sim in her S20+, so that the Hybrid slot can be used with micro SD card. Even though my S10 Lite has hybrid slot with 2 sims, it is fine as the internal storage is 512GB.

New phone buyers, it is better to go for phones with dedicated SD slot, if you are going to use 2 sims.

New phone buyers, it is better to go for phones with dedicated SD slot, if you are going to use 2 sims.
Sadly we won't get a dedicated SD slot on flagships, iPhone doesn't even have one. I can't imagine going back to a budget phone just to get extra SD storage.

^^^^
Yes, go for e-sim + SD slot for high end android phones with hybrid sim slot. That is the only way. Sadly its not applicable for S21 series as well.

But frankly, currently there is no compulsive reason for buying smartphones above 50k, where you have no SD slot, no 3.5mm jack, need to pay extra for chargers, fragile glass back and/or curved screen, water resistance but NO water damage warranty, etc... These limitations are ok, if you pay less, but sadly smartphone makers' greed has no limits...

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock