Sad News Google Photos is discontinuing Unlimited Free Storage from 1st June 2021

kanagadeepan

Contributor
Solutions
Reaction score
Guys, one bad news... Google is going to stop providing UL storage for photos in Google Photos from June2021. Link HERE. I expected this much earlier, as they can't keep on buying HDD forever, without revenue (YT is different)...

But good news is, the photos stored till 01-June-2021 will NOT be counted on the base 15GB storage. They should continue to give this benefit for Google one users like me, at least for pics. It will encourage many free users to go for the 100GB Tier...

Starting June 1, 2021, any new photos and videos you upload will count toward the free 15 GB of storage that comes with every Google Account or the additional storage you’ve purchased as a Google One member. Your Google Account storage is shared across Drive, Gmail and Photos. This change also allows us to keep pace with the growing demand for storage.

Source

I take hundreds or thousands of screenshots every week which are all backed up to Google Photos along with other photos. Thankfully they will remain as they are, but I do not want to pay for Google One. I think I will have to completely stop using Google Photos for backups since I am way, way over the 15GB limit (but below 15GB if photos are excluded). I do not think there is any free unlimited backup service any more. Too bad but it was always going to happen.

One extra information. This restriction of no UL high quality (not original quality) from June 2021, is not applicable for pixel phones.

So it's better to buy phones with micro sd expansion or at the most pixel phones.

This is one move which will significantly impact many smartphone users. Google promised unlimited storage in high quality for life time, and now they back tracked. I understand that they want to make revenue out of this huge opportunity. But this approach of luring us and then stopping it is the issue. We will have to find an alternate starting June 2021, to store our pictures/videos. Thankfully, I have expected this to happen some day or the other and I have been taking backup of all my pictures on external hard drives, except for a couple of months in between when I was lazy and had to quickly free up my phone storage. BAD MOVE Google !!

This is one move which will significantly impact many smartphone users. Google promised unlimited storage in high quality for life time, and now they back tracked. I understand that they want to make revenue out of this huge opportunity. But this approach of luring us and then stopping it is the issue. We will have to find an alternate starting June 2021, to store our pictures/videos. Thankfully, I have expected this to happen some day or the other and I have been taking backup of all my pictures on external hard drives, except for a couple of months in between when I was lazy and had to quickly free up my phone storage. BAD MOVE Google !!
Same here bro, I never trust this cloud drive system.

I can't understand....it's always 15GB limit for me (as well my wife). Which restricted us from taking photos on our tours.

I can't understand....it's always 15GB limit for me (as well my wife). Which restricted us from taking photos on our tours.
There's an option which allows us to store unlimited photos and videos. The problem is that it'll convert the video to HD and Photos to 16mp. I enabled the options in my wife's phone just the day before this announcement.

Free unlimited high quality thing will still continue until May 2021. Plenty of time to take stock of cloud storage. I have around 6GB of emails and 2GB of google drive that needs cleanup. According to the pattern of my recent automatic camera uploads on photos app, it says I have around 3-4 years of volume left. That can increase more once emails and drive data is cleaned up

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock