Germany to fight pollution with free public transportation

Sarkar

Reaction score
When the discussion turns to the rising costs of living in many global cities, one factor rarely goes unmentioned: public transport fees. New Yorkers only spend about $116.50 per month on average, compared with up to $200 in London.

Many Germans, however, might soon have to spend a whooping $0.

The country of parental leave, short work weeks and Lederhosen may soon embark on a bold, new experiment: making public transport free. For a start, residents of five middle-sized cities are expected to benefit from the scheme this year, but it could eventually result in the end of bus or subway tickets across the country. The plans are included in a letter the German government sent to European Union officials, and was obtained by a number of news agencies and media outlets.

“We are considering public transport free of charge in order to reduce the number of private cars,” three German government ministers wrote in their recent letter to the E.U., according to AFP. “Effectively fighting air pollution without any further unnecessary delays is of the highest priority for Germany.”

In Germany — a nation where cars drive on autobahns without a speed limit — the move might convince many vehicle owners to take the subway instead, the government hopes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...public-transportation/?utm_term=.d16a546bd97b

I wish someday we will also have this system here in India

So land of Mercedes,Bmw,wolkswagan providing free transport☺.Btw there buses are of these company only.
In my city during office time,you will hardly able to stand in a bus.Can't imagine the situation if its free😨

So land of Mercedes,Bmw,wolkswagan providing free transport☺.Btw there buses are of these company only.
In my city during office time,you will hardly able to stand in a bus.Can't imagine the situation if its free😨

Not only free transport Germany actually paid their Citizens to use electricity(Power prices went negative) as they have more electricity than needed and electricity cannot be stored in bucket/tank

Germany paid people to use electricity over the holidays because its grid is so clean

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock