Gary Kirsten Named South Africa’s Head Coach

ssparikshya

Reaction score
Cricket South Africa (CSA) on Monday announced the appointment of Gary Kirsten as Head Coach of the Proteas.
The appointment is for a period of two years.
“We are delighted to welcome Gary back as part of the CSA family,” commented CSA CEO Gerald Majola. “We have been through an exhaustive but rewarding process to find the best possible candidate for the job and we are totally confident that we have done just that.
“The selection of Gary has brought to an end a process that started several years ago when he first expressed interest in the position.
“Gary’s credentials and cricketing experiences speak for themselves and the Board of CSA is confident that he will lead the Proteas to new heights in all formats of the game.
“It has been highly encouraging to see the calibre of candidates from around the world who applied for this prestigious position and it confirms the high regard for South African cricket around the world.
“Gary will now make recommendations regarding his key support staff and these positions will be announced as soon as contractual negotiations have been completed.”
Kirsten said he felt greatly honoured to be selected for this important position. “In the first place I would like to say what an honour it is to become head coach of the Proteas,” Kirsten commented. “Having filled the same position with the Indian national team for the past three years I believe this is a natural progression as far as my coaching career is concerned.
“My coaching philosophy will not be any different than it was for the Indian team. I always endeavour to influence players in a positive way and give them options so that they can grow both as cricketers and as people.”
Kirsten, 43, has just completed a successful three-year stint as Head Coach of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) during which time he led them to the ICC World Cup crown and to the No. 1 ranking in Test cricket.
As a player he had a distinguished career both for Western Province and the Proteas. He was the first South African to reach the milestones of 100 Test caps, 7 000 Test runs and 20 Test centuries and, although these marks have subsequently been passed by Jacques Kallis, he set the original benchmark for others to follow.
He was also the first South African since unity to score a century in both innings of a Test match and he stood in for an injured Hansie Cronje as captain of the Proteas against Pakistan in 1998.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock