Fifa wc 2014 news,updates and scores

Karan rocks

Reaction score
Spain to announce final 23-man World Cup squad, 1pm Sunday

Vicente del Bosque will announce Spain’s final 23-man squad to compete at Brazil 2014 this Sunday at 1PM Central European Summer Time.

Spain-La-Roja-La-Selecci%C3%B3n.jpg

In an official statement the Spanish football federation has announced that the manager of La Roja will appear at the headquarters of Iberdrola, the national team’s principal sponsor, this Sunday to announce his final cuts to his World Cup squad. The announcement will be made available via social network channels Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, and you will be able to find the final 23-man-squad here on Inside Spanish Football.

The provisional 30-man squad was announced last Tuesday, with the likes of Isco already missing the cut. Thiago Alcantara was ruled this week after tearing a ligament in his knee in the German cup final. Athletic Club’s Ander Iturraspe is one player expected to miss out, while del Bosque will have a difficult task in picking which forwards he will take to Brazil.

Spain’s 30-man provisional squad: Goalkeepers:

Goalkeepers:

Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Pepe Reina (Nápoles), David de Gea (Manchester United).

Defenders:

Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Gerard Piqué (Barcelona), Raúl Albiol (Nápoles), Javier Martínez (Bayern Munich), Juanfran Torres (Atlético Madrid), Jordi Alba (Barcelona), César Azpiliciueta (Chelsea), Dani Carvajal (Real Madrid), Alberto Moreno (Sevilla).

Midfielders:

Xavi Hernández (Barcelona), Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid), Andrés Iniesta (Barcelona), Koke Resurrección (Atlético Madrid), Sergio Busquets (Barcelona), Santi Cazorla (Arsenal), Ander Iturraspe (Athletic Club Bilbao), Cesc Fábregas (Barcelona), Juan Mata (Manchester United), David Silva (Manchester City), Pedro Rodríguez (Barcelona), Jesús Navas (Manchester City).

Forwards:

Diego Costa (Atlético Madrid), David Villa (Atlético Madrid), Fernando Torres (Chelsea), Álvaro Negredo (Manchester City), Fernando Llorente (Juventus).

Out:

Thiago Alcántara (Bayern Munich)

Spain to announce final 23-man World Cup squad, 1pm Sunday

World Cup: Brazil Mobilizes 157,000 Security Officials

brazil-640-security.gif

Brasilia: Brazil said it is mobilizing 157,000 soldiers and police to ensure security during the World Cup, which opens in 20 days against a backdrop of violent protests and strikes.

The defense ministry yesterday said it would provide 57,000 navy, army and air force personnel for the event, including 21,000 who will be on a state of alert for situations requiring immediate intervention.

The ministry has invested 709 million reais (USD 322 million) since 2012 in modernizing its forces and preparing them for the tournament, which runs from June 12 to July 13.

Justice Minister Jose Eduardo Cardozo said he did not believe the recent string of demonstrations and strikes across Brazil would escalate to the level of protests that gripped the country last year during the Confederations Cup, a World Cup dress rehearsal.

Those protests drew a million people into the street and turned violent at times, embarrassing the tournament's organizers.

"Our feeling is that (the protests) will be smaller than the ones last June. But, sincerely speaking, we are prepared for any situation," Cardozo told journalists at a joint press conference with Defense Minister Celso Amorim.

The protesters are angry over the more than USD 11 billion being spent to host the World Cup in a country with glaring inequality and pressing needs in education, health care, housing and transport.

The security forces will be spread among the 12 host cities and state capitals Vitoria, Aracaju and Maceio, which will all have base camps for teams playing in the tournament.

The military will also work with police to secure the enormous South American country's 16,800 kilometers (10,400 miles) of borders.

The anti-World Cup protests have shrunk in numbers since last year, but have also grown more radical.

As the tournament approaches, a series of police strikes -- plus the threat of a nationwide strike by federal police --have also raised concerns about security in a country with one of the world's worst crime rates.

Around three million Brazilians and 600,000 foreign tourists are expected to attend the World Cup.

FIFA World Cup: Protest Rallies Continue Ahead of World Cup in Brazil

brazil-world-cup-prot-640.jpg

Sau Paulo:
Thousands of Brazilians backing a movement to help homeless workers rallied in Sao Paulo to protest a lack of housing, shoddy public services and huge spending on the World Cup.

Police put attendance at 15,000 while organisers said it was more than double that.

Despite the rain, the Homeless Workers Movement said the rally late yesterday was among the biggest in weeks of protests in Brazil as the country prepares to host the World Cup in three weeks' time and the Summer Olympics in 2016.

"We are here to protest against the Cup, against the huge spending on the World Cup while we do not have housing or healthcare or anything else," said Luiz Giovani, a member of the movement.

The march was peaceful as it passed through a major commercial district of Brazil's largest city.

Banners carried by demonstrators included some that said "FIFA go home", in reference to football's world governing body.

It was the latest in a series of demonstrations in recent weeks by the homeless movement. The World Cup will cost Brazilian taxpayers USD 11 billion.

Earlier yesterday commuters in Sao Paulo faced huge traffic jams caused by a paralysing bus drivers' strike.

The two-day protest stranded more than a million passengers and unleashed transit chaos on the economic hub of Brazil.

Most buses were running again after city officials and the transport union reached a deal with drivers to end the strike at midnight.

Commuters, however, still faced stalled traffic stretching 170 kilometres -- a morning rush hour record in this sprawling city of 20 million people.

The drivers were rebelling against their own union, which had agreed to a 10-percent pay increase in negotiations with management. They wanted more.

Brazil has faced a wave of strikes and protests in the run-up to the games and elections in October. Police, teachers and bank security guards have all gone on strike in recent weeks.

FIFA World Cup: Shakira Releases Tournament Anthem

The 37-year-old Shakira released the FIFA World Cup anthem and the video features special appearances from soccer stars Lionel Messi, Cesc Fabregas, Eric Abidal, Neymar, James Rodriguez, Sergio Aguero, Radamel Falcao as well as her longtime boyfriend, Gerard Pique.

Pop sensation Shakira has released her 2014 FIFA World Cup anthem 'La La La'.

shakira640.jpg

The track, which is featured in FIFA's One Love, One Rhythm: The Official 2014 World Cup Album, also appears in the Colombian pop star's new record, Shakira.

The video of 'La La La' features the 37-year-old singer dancing in a black skirt and features special appearances from soccer stars Lionel Messi, Cesc Fabregas, Eric Abidal, Neymar, James Rodriguez, Sergio Aguero, Radamel Falcao as well as her longtime boyfriend, Gerard Pique.

The couple's 16-month-old son Milan also has a cameo in the video and can be seen kicking a soccer ball. Also featured is Brazilian star Carlinhos Brown, who brings the inimitable style that gives the song that all-important Samba feel.

Shakira teamed up with Activia for the video to support the World Food Programme (WFP) and communicate WFP's work to tackle hunger.

Shakira said: "With 'La La La (Brazil 2014)' we want to make a small contribution so that everybody knows about the outstanding work the World Food Programme is doing to fight hunger."

Miami-based rapper Pitbull debuted the official theme for the World Cup, 'We Are One (Ole Ola)', featuring Jennifer Lopez, in April 2014.

FIFA World Cup: Shakira Releases Tournament Anthem | Football - News | NDTVSports.com

Cahill leads Australia for South Africa World Cup

4596394-3x2-940x627.jpg

Sydney: Australia forward Tim Cahill will lead the Socceroos in Monday`s World Cup warmup against South Africa in Sydney, with recently named captain Mile Jedinak still recovering from injury, the team said on Sunday.

The 34-year-old striker, named vice-captain for the Brazil finals along with midfielder Mark Bresciano last week, will lead Australia for the first time in his 68th international in front of home-town fans.

"Tim’s leadership and the way he conducts himself in the group as a senior player has been impressive and with Mile not able to play against South Africa, Tim will captain the side,” coach Ange Postecoglou said in a statement.

Australia`s top scorer with 31 goals and a veteran of the Socceroos` last two World Cup appearances at South Africa in 2010 and Germany in 2006, the New York Red Bulls striker was thrilled with the appointment, however temporary.

“This is far and away the proudest day of my football career,” said Cahill. “I think it’s an honour to put on the green and gold shirt and play for the Socceroos but to lead the team out will be amazing.

“I’ve always said you don’t have to have an armband to be a leader but captaining my country in the sport that has given me everything in life is going to be an amazing experience and I look forward to the responsibility Ange has given me while Mile is out injured.”

Crystal Palace skipper Jedinak suffered a groin strain in the Premier League club`s final match of the season, but is expected to be fit for next month`s tournament in Brazil, where Australia will play a warmup against Croatia prior to their group matches against world champions Spain, Netherlands and Chile.

Del Bosque delays deciding on Spain World Cup squad

Spain manager Vicente Del Bosque has announced a 19-man squad for the friendly against Bolivia, but won’t announce his definitive 23-man squad for the World Cup, until after that game.

Vicente_Del_Bosque.jpg

Vicente Del Bosque had been expected to announce his final squad of twenty-three players, ahead of the World Cup, at a press conference scheduled on Sunday. However, that didn’t prove to be the case, as he instead announced an interim squad of nineteen, for the friendly against Bolivia on Friday 30th May in Sevilla.

Goalkeepers

Reina (Napoli), De Gea (Manchester United).

Defenders

Azpilicueta (Chelsea), Piqué (Barcelona), Javi Martínez (Bayern Munich), Albiol (Napoli), Alba (Barcelona), Alberto Moreno (Sevilla).

Midfielders

Xavi (Barcelona, Iturraspe (Athletic Club Bilbao), Busquets (Barcelona), Cazorla (Arsenal), Fàbregas (Barcelona), Silva (Manchester City), Iniesta (Barcelona), Mata (Manchester United).

Forwards

Pedro (Barcelona), Torres (Chelsea), Deulofeu (Barcelona)

Having announced that list of players, Del Bosque explained; “We’ve done this because we don’t yet know the physical condition of everyone and until 2nd June, we’re not obliged to give our definitive list to FIFA. We would like to ensure that by the 2nd, all of those that will be going, will have trained.”

For those that weren’t included and are being rested, such as those from Atlético Madrid and Real Madrid, along with others like Navas, Negredo and Llorente, due to the Champions League final, Del Bosque added that they could all still be involved.

“This is a continuity list and we’re being careful to ensure that everyone arrives in the best of conditions. We’ve been in contact with them all and they’re all fine. We have all the information we need.”

“Aside from Juanfran and Diego Costa, as we don’t yet know how they are after the Champions League final, we’ve been in contact with everyone. Many of them have a chance to be there for the World Cup, even though they’re not in this list. For example, Jesús Navas, Álvaro Negredo and Fernando Lllorente, could be in the final list.”

Del Bosque has no concerns when it comes to availability of players for all roles he wants to deploy.

“We’ve doubled or even tripled for positions, so we can be calm about that, as we have plenty of alternative options.”

Lamenting the untimely injury of Bayern Munich midfielder Thiago, Del Bosque admitted: “It’s been a very sensitive injury, he would have fitted in well with the squad and it’s a shame he can’t now.”

One of the most notable additions to this 19-man squad is that of Barcelona youngster, Gerard Deulofeu, who has shone whilst on his loan spell at Everton this season. Del Bosque feels he’s very much earned his opportunity.

“We have a great deal of confidence in him. He’s a winger, he’s done really well at Everton, is a good option for us and if there are any injuries, he’s the first option we can turn to.”

Spain must name their final 23-man squad on 2nd June, which is the same day they head to the USA for their training camp in Washington and also where they’ll play a friendly, against El Salvador on 7th June. The following day, they head for the final stage of their World Cup preparations, to their Brazilian base in Curitiba.

Del Bosque delays deciding on Spain World Cup squad

FIFA World Cup: Brazil and Argentina Favourites to Win, Says Sunil Chhetri

sunil%20chhetri300.jpg

Sunil Chhetri said he based his calculation on the fact that European teams have traditionally not performed very well outside the continent in the FIFA World Cup.

Mumbai: Indian football captain Sunil Chhetri on Saturday picked hosts and five-time champions Brazil and fellow South American two-time winners Argentina as the teams fancied to lift the glittering FIFA World Cup this year.

"Because it's happening in South America, Brazil and Argentina are favourites. But you can never bet against teams like Germany and Spain, the current world champions. Uruguay are the dark horses. These five teams are going to be very strong," said Chhetri at a Nike promotional event here.

The World Cup is slated from June 12-July 13 in Brazil.

Chhetri said he based his calculation on the fact that European teams have traditionally not performed very well outside the continent.

"Home advantage serves especially when you play in a different climate zone. It really matters as a lot of European teams have not performed that well when they have gone out of Europe. A lot of big tournaments happen in Europe and they are used to European conditions," Chhetri explained.

"It's not going to be same in South America and that's why teams from South America are going to be very strong, especially Brazil who will be playing at home."

Chhetri is a supporter of Barcelona and follower of Spain. "I am a Spain follower because I like Barcelona."

About India's chances in football in the September 19-October 4 Asian Games, the 29-year-old striker said it all depended on the sort of preparation the team would have ahead of the multi-discipline extravaganza in Incheon, South Korea.

"It all depends on the kind of preparation we have. Thankfully, we have a three-month long camp. With a very able team, a combination of a lot of good junior players, preparations are going to be good.

"We are just hoping we can have a combined team with no injuries. We will do our best though I can't say where we will finish. It's a very important tournament for us."

Men's football is to start five days before the official opening of the Games and involves 32 teams.

Steven Gerrard hints at England retirement after Brazil showdown

images

London: England captain Steven Gerrard has hinted he could retire from the international stage after the forthcoming World Cup in Brazil.

Gerrard will lead Roy Hodgson`s side to south America in June, where they face group stage fixtures against Italy, Uruguay and Costa Rica.

The 33-year-old is hopeful England can defy their underdog status at the tournament and make a serious challenge for their first World Cup crown since 1966.

But the Liverpool midfielder, who turns 34 next week, acknowledges this could be his last taste of the international scene.

With Liverpool back in the Champions League next season, Gerrard knows the demands on his body will be even greater and he could well decide to step away from England duty to prolong his club career.

"I`m not going to leave anyone hanging," Gerrard was quoted as telling several English newspapers on Sunday.

"Don`t worry, as soon as the World Cup is over I`ll sit down with the manager at the right time and I`ll make the decision.

"I can be open and honest with you now that I haven`t made that decision because I haven`t had the chance to chat with the manager at length over it.

"But I`ll be chatting to (Liverpool manager) Brendan Rodgers, Roy Hodgson and a few important people around me whose opinion I respect, players I`ve played with. I`ll chat to them all and make the right decision at the right time.

"It will be very close after the World Cup I`ll make that decision. "It does to depend on how the World Cup goes, how I perform, how the team performs. Am I still going to be wanted after the World Cup? These are all the questions we`ll have to sit down and answer.

"I won`t stay around if I`m not wanted. I hope I perform to the level where I am wanted and I`ve got that difficult decision to make.".

Gerrard is only six caps shy of David Beckham`s England outfield record of 115, which he would equal by featuring in all of the Three Lions` pre-tournament friendlies and group matches.

"To get close to David Beckham, to match him, or to go ahead of him would be an unbelievable achievement," Gerrard said.

"He`s a hero of mine, I was lucky enough to play with him. He`s a top role model and a top player as well."

Gerrard`s more immediate aim is to deal with the mental scars of Liverpool`s failed attempt to win the English league title for the first time in 24 years.

Brendan Rodgers` side needed to win their last three matches to claim the Premier League trophy, but Gerrard made a costly slip against Chelsea, gifting a goal to Demba Ba which set up a 2-0 win for the Blues at Anfield that effectively handed the title to Manchester City.

Opposition supporters have gleefully taunted Gerrard since then but the Reds captain insists that mistake will not affect his performances at the World Cup.

"I am good, I am excited, I am really looking forward to it," he said. "Both for club and country I am in good form and I am excited like everyone else.

"I know everyone wants to know what frame of mind I am in because of the slip that happened to me against Chelsea but I am over it, it has gone, I can`t change it.

"Of course I was disappointed in it from a personal point of view and the title slipping away from Liverpool with three games to go was a blow.

"But you`ve also got to look at all the positives as well. I can`t just focus on one mistake I made over 38 games.

"I am in a good frame of mind, I am excited and I can`t wait to get started at the World Cup."

Steven Gerrard hints at England retirement after Brazil showdown | Zee News India

Spain Star Diego Costa Risks Missing FIFA World Cup

diegocosta640_spain.jpg

Spain's Brazilian-born striker Diego Costa risks missing next month's World Cup after doctors warned Monday that a hamstring injury will force him to rest for two weeks.

Costa, 25, left the pitch after nine minutes of his club Atletico Madrid's Champions League final against Real Madrid on Saturday after having urgent treatment on the thigh-tear.

"He is not better. He is at best the same as before that match," said Doctor Pedro Guillen, head of the Cemtro clinic where the Spain team sent the player for a scan.

"He still has a grade-one strain in his right hamstring and needs to rest for at least two weeks," the doctor told radio station Cope.

European and world champions Spain play their first World Cup group match against the Netherlands on June 13.

"He could be there, but it will depend on his progress," Guillen said. Spain manager Vicente del Bosque has put off naming his full squad to monitor the fitness of Costa and other key players from Atletico and Real Madrid after Saturday's final.

Real won the clash in Lisbon 4-1 after extra time. Del Bosque has named three forwards -- David Silva, Fernando Torres and Pedro Rodriguez -- in a 19-man squad for a friendly match against Bolivia on May 30.

He will finalise his World Cup squad after that match, potentially adding Costa and seven other Atletico and Real Madrid players to the long list before whittling it down to 23.

Spain face Chile and Australia in World Cup Group B along with the Netherlands - their opponents in their 2010 World Cup final triumph.

FIFA World Cup: Don't Think Spain Have Quality to Win, Says Luis Figo

Luis Figo, a former Ballon d'Or winner and FIFA player of the year, also believed Brazil will be difficult to stop if they get off to a good start in the FIFA World Cup.

luis-figo-300.jpg

London: Football legend Luis Figo says defending champions Spain "don't have the quality" to retain the crown in the upcoming FIFA World Cup, instead he puts his money on hosts Brazil for a record sixth title.

"I don't think Spain are going to win this World Cup. I do not think they have the quality to do it. It's difficult, but it's not impossible," Figo, one of the best players of his generation, said.

The former Ballon d'Or winner and FIFA player of the year believed Brazil will be difficult to stop if they get off to a good start.

"I think it helps at home. I know the national coach (Luiz Felipe Scolari) well. I think he is a fantastic coach for that kind of tournament and the country (will) help the team by supporting them. I think if they start well, it is going to be very, very difficult for the other teams," the 41-year-old Portuguese said.

Read more at: FIFA World Cup: Don't Think Spain Have Quality to Win, Says Luis Figo | Football - News | NDTVSports.com

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock