Discussion Experimenting Nokia GPON to SFP + 2.5G SFP to 2.5G Media Converter

d5aqoep

Reaction score
As you already know, I have Tata Play Fiber's 1 Gbps plan. Now 1 Gbps plan gives only 900-940 Mbps download speeds at all the times for the following reasons:
1. Limited by Gigabit LAN ports on ONU as well as Router (If ONU is in Bridge Mode)
2. TCP/IP LAN overheads reduce speeds by around 8%

To get around this issue, I have ordered 4 things
1. Nokia G-010S-A (GPON ONT SFP) Ebay Link Rs. 7500 (5300 shipping + 2200 custom duty)
2. 2.5G media converter ONU Fiber Optic Transceiver Aliexpress Link Rs. 3500
3. Asus GT-AX11000 Pro Router with 2.5G WAN port 10G LAN port (PrimeABGB Mumbai) Rs. 45000
4. Optional - TRENDnet 8-Port 10G Switch Amazon.com Rs. 65000 (Includes import duty)

My PC already has AQC113s 10G ethernet adapter which is capable of 2.5G speeds too.

Relevant youtube video to see above gigabit speeds in action.

I wanted to upgrade the pathetic wifi in my house. But since India doesn't allow Wifi6e yet, I had to settle for non Wifi6e router.
1 and 3 have arrived. 2 would still take a month to arrive as a relative is ordering from Aliexpress for me and getting it next month. However I have already ordered a basic Rs. 1200 Gigabit Media converter (arriving tomorrow) to test out whether the Nokia GPON SFP stick works or not. I will also check the GPON serial and PLOAM password spoofing to get basic bridge mode to work.

Probable points of failure:
1. I am just unable to get the Nokia GPON stick to change SN and PLOAM Passwords from my current Genexis ONU.
2. Plain incompatibility with Tata Play Fiber's OLT
3. Tata Play have just not over-provisioned my connection's speed profile like they normally do. They have limited it to 940 Mbps up/down instead of 1024 Mbps or higher.
3. Aliexpress fails to deliver the 2.5G media converter to my relative in US on time.

Wish me luck. I will update or reply here.

Last edited:
Update: TRENDnet 8-Port 10G Switch: I have cancelled it as the global seller now says that I have to pay duty extra and $300 he charges is for shipping only. Ridiculous. So I am currently looking at local dealers with their inflated margins. No way I am paying 65000 + $41% as duty lol.

New update: I have managed to use TP-Link GPON ONU and get it to authenticate on TataPlay Fiber. However, the Nokia GPON to SFP stick doesn’t work yet as it has firmware bug where it can’t detect VLAN ID via OMCI.

Big Update: Change of plans

Nokia GPON SFP experiment has failed badly. There is a firmware incompatibility issue which does not pick up VLAN correctly from TataPlay's OLT.

However, I was able to get TP-Link XZ000-G3 V1 to work perfectly as a replacement ONU on TataPlay Fiber. It correctly picks up the VLAN ID. Extremely overjoyed as now I can continue with the experiment further. Caution: Do not buy TP-Link XZ000-G3 V2 as it's 02/2022 firmware is buggy and causes speed issues.
Even TP-Link XZ000-G3 V1 needs firmware update for max speed which can be found here.
Buying link for TP-Link XZ000-G3 V1 is here.
Buying link for TP-Link XZ000-G3 V2 is here. But you have been warned of issues in firmware 02/2022.

New set of equipment needed
  1. VSOL V2802RH ONU (Ordered via Whatsapp from alibaba supplier. They sent a Paypal payment address) Cost $41.5 Custom duty awaited but should be 41% of that.
  2. TP-Link TL-SX1008 8-port 10Gbe switch from Moglix direct link (Rs. 29,499 including shipping) Slow shipping but it arrived today.
  3. 2 x Asus GT-AX11000 Pro Router with 2.5G WAN port 10G LAN port (PrimeABGB Mumbai) Rs. 45000 Already running in mesh mode.
Waiting for VSOL ONU to arrive. The honeytrap kinda Chinese lady told me that it will take 6 days to dispatch and another 6 days to arrive.

Configurations requested over WhatsApp chat for V29892RH:
  1. English GUI
  2. APC Green optic connector. I don't want to use some adapter like UPC to APC. Tata Play Fiber also uses APC.
  3. Bridge mode support which they said it can be enabled in GUI.
  4. I needed RJ11 telephone jack but this request was denied and other top 3 were fullfilled.
Different supplier has another model but it costs $100 to ship.
I can share their whatsapp numbers of both the suppliers if anyone too wants to order.

Enough people didn't wish me luck last time it seems. :p

Last edited:
Success crossing Gigabit speeds. Used VSOL V2802RH ONU

f0070e73-ed6b-4be2-b2b5-3195df4f1160.png

dPyyRQC.png

VSOL V2802RH ONU
Cost $14.5 for ONU. Shipping $27 DHL and $13 Customs duty
Total cost: $54.5 (Rs. 4523)

Last edited:
I have given up trying to get TataPlay to work with anything else than that horrible Nokia GPON. I have both v1 v2 of TPLink GPON and the Nokia GPON stick. None work. v1 I did upgrade to the firmware linked here. Tried so many things SN, PLOAM etc. I think they have done something with the OMCI where it fails to register. I get O5 in the dashboard of the TPLINK ONU but not the blue light which means the O5 link is not stable.

I have given up trying to get TataPlay to work with anything else than that horrible Nokia GPON. I have both v1 v2 of TPLink GPON and the Nokia GPON stick. None work. v1 I did upgrade to the firmware linked here. Tried so many things SN, PLOAM etc. I think they have done something with the OMCI where it fails to register. I get O5 in the dashboard of the TPLINK ONU but not the blue light which means the O5 link is not stable.
Your VLAN is not correct. Try scan function of V1 TP-Link to get your VLAN or try mine which is 1504

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock