• Views Views: Views 33,750
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hip Hip Hurray ........ :tup

Chak de India :tup

चक दे इंडिया

It is not about revenge: Dhoni

k5KdY.jpg

HYDERABAD: The India-England series has been billed as a 'revenge series' but Indian captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni chose to play down the issue after his stellar show in the first ODI against England.

"I believe revenge is a very strong word. If you look at the England series especially the second half, we did play well. We scored runs but unfortunately there were rain interruptions and the ball used to become heavier and tougher for our bowlers to grip," Dhoni said at the post match media interaction after India beat England by 126 runs in the first ODI.

"This is a series where the idea is to groom the youngsters. Also this win came after a long time and it was an important win. You can't enjoy playing the game if you lose too many matches," the skipper said candidly.

Dhoni termed his unbeaten 87-run knock as one of his "precious innings" and said today he played like he used to do at the start of his career.

"I normally don't believe in rating my performance but yes this innings is a precious innings for me. Over the years, I have played some good knocks and this one is also a valuable one. Once I started batting at No 6, I had remodelled my game. This innings of mine was a very well calculated one."

"I tried a lot of aerial shots which I normally don't play nowadays. I was practising a lot of hitting over the cover region. I felt this was the right match to try out and it worked well," he added.
Newspaper: Times Of India, 15th Oct

India-England ODI series so soon not ideal, says Gower

Ao551.jpg

Former stylish English batsman David Gower feels that the ongoing five-match ODI series between India and visiting England in less than a month after the former’s dismal tour was not ideal for the game.

“Its not ideal. I would rather see them (India and England) playing different oppositions. I saw a piece by Mr (Sunil) Gavaskar saying the same thing. I would have liked the teams playing in different countries,” the 54-year-old told PTI here today.

“But the whole schedule is congested. England next play Australia in the one-dayers. There’s a bit of imbalance. We have to see how the next element in the FTP goes about,” added Gower, who is here as a patron for the “Emeralds for Elephants”, an initiative for protection of India’s wildlife.

After a nearly two-month tour, which saw India losing the lone T20, the four Test rubber 4-0, and the five-match ODI series 3-0 to England, they are hosting the same opponents for a five-match limited overs tourney, with the first match being held in Hyderabad today.

Gower said India were outplayed on their visit to England, which had sullied the image of the Mahendra Singh Dhoni-led team.

“India’s image is a bit tarnished but you can’t change the fact that they are world champions and would continue to be for the next three and half years. At the moment, whatever the criticism you level at them they were short of their best players with injuries. When you lose 4-5 of your best players, its difficult,” the former England skipper said.

“We were (surprised). We were disappointed. It was billed as a heavyweight contest but turned out to be nothing of that kind. In short, they (India) were not prepared for it. England was by far the better team. Whatever the criticism about India, England made life as hard as they could for them. I will give England a lot of credit for the way they prepared, organised themselves and played.”
Newspaper: The Hindu, 15th Oct

Give Fletcher time and space to produce results: Dravid

ZdYWe.jpg

Duncan Fletcher has not had the best of times since taking over as India cricket coach but veteran batsman Rahul Dravid says he should not be written off just yet as the Zimbabwean needs “more time and space” to produce results.

Keeping in mind his wealth of experience and exploits with the England team, which includes the famous Ashes series win over Australia in 2005, Fletcher was appointed as Gary Kristen’s successor after India’s World Cup triumph.

The 63-year-old, however, had a forgettable experience in his first major outing with the Indian team in England, where the visitors, approaching the series as world’s numero uno Test side, were whitewashed in all formats of the game.

But Dravid backed Fletcher to turn things around for Mahendra Singh Dhoni’s men, provided he is given more time.

“Look at his (Fletcher’s) achievement with the England team. He comes in with a lot of experience behind him. He has vast knowledge to offer (to India),” Dravid told PTI in an interview.

“It’s too premature to judge him. We need to give more time and space to him to produce results,” he said.

At 38, Dravid is still going strong and was India’s star performer with the bat in England. He, however, was disappointed with the outcome of the series but felt the hosts were by far the better side and deserved to be praised highly for their achievement.

“Obviously, England is a very good team at present. They played some very good cricket and you need to give them credit. They outplayed us in all departments of the game. They showed better skills during that series,” he said.

“But that’s not an excuse. We didn’t play well enough. Sometimes there is no harm losing to a team that is better than you as long as you learn from the mistakes,” Dravid said.

He also did not buy the theory that fatigue had a role to play in India’s poor performance in England.

“Playing a lot of cricket is part and parcel of the game. That’s the way FTP is made and the tours are structured. You just get to learn with it and get on with it,” the right-hander said on the sidelines of the launch of SG’s Maxxport, a sportswear brand here.

Dravid, however, was hopeful of a reversal of fortunes for India in the ODI series against England, termed as a revenge series, starting today at Hyderabad.

“The Indian team (against England) is quite young because of lot of injuries but I hope we will be able to perform well. But it won’t be easy because England are a very good team at the moment. They are playing very good cricket and they are well prepared. So it will be a challenge,” he observed.

Dhoni, Raina power India to 300 for seven

Hm249.jpg

Skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni played a superb innings under pressure and was ably supported by Suresh Raina as India posted a challenging 300 for seven against England in the first cricket one-dayer here today.

The Indian captain smashed an unbeaten 87 off 70 deliveries on a track where strokemaking wasn’t exactly easy.

He found an able supporter in Raina who hit a 55-ball 61 after India opted to bat on winning the toss.

The last 15 overs yielded a whopping 150 runs as one got a glimpse of vintage Dhoni. The now famous ‘Helicopter shot’ fetched him plenty of runs as he hit 10 boundaries and a six en route his 42nd half century in ODIs. The innings assumed significance considering the amount of pressure he was in after England tour.

India were scoring runs at a sedate pace for the first 35 overs partly to the dual nature of the surface and also some disciplined bowling by the visitors before the duo started the hammering of the England bowlers adding 72 runs for the fifth wicket in only 10 overs.

Once Raina departed, Dhoni took it upon himself to punish the English bowlers who suddenly lacked discipline after bowling well for the better part of the innings.

It was Raina whose counter-attack in the mandatory batting Powerplay from 36th to 40th opened the floodgates as India scored 59 runs in those five overs. Raina hit his customary aerial shots in the arc between extra cover and mid-wicket while Dhoni also hammered Jade Dernbach, Steven Finn and Tim Bresnan with consummate ease.

Raina completed his half century with a six off Bresnan’s bowling and was trying to hit a slog shot. His 61 had five fours and two sixes.

Opting to bat first on a wicket which offered variable bounce to the England pacers, the Indian batsmen especially Ajinkya Rahane (15) made a complete mess of the first mandatory Powerplay when India managed only 47 runs losing Parthiv Patel’s wicket.

First match, about turn

uZTbm.jpg

They arrived 11 days in advance and made all the right statements — ability to adapt, the inexperience of the opposition all included. Apart from soaking in the sights and sounds of Hyderabad and getting acclimatised, Alastair Cook & Co also indulged in a variety of drills, preparing and formulating theories and practices to overcome their dreaded potential scourge. The England team’s coaches and support staff put the batsmen — from top to bottom in the line-up —through the grind trying their best to help them comprehend the difficult art of playing spin on low-and-slow Indian wickets. The two practice games against Hyderabad XI played their part too.

On the basis of what was witnessed at the RGIC Stadium on Friday, however, all that build-up was in vain it would seem.

That India had put up a score of 300/7 on a rather two-paced, fickle-natured wicket — thanks to MS Dhoni and Suresh Raina — did ensure that England were kept under the pump throughout. But England coach Andy Flower could definitely not have fathomed the inept fashion in which their batsmen succumbed to India’s spin duo, eventually proving that they were highly susceptible against their everlasting nemesis.
Newspaper: Indian Express, 15th Oct

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom