Dale Steyn likely to miss IPL, eyes June 2017 return

• Thread starter Thread starter rahul1117kumar
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 0
  • Views Views: Views 481
Reaction score
After injuring his right shoulder during the first Test against Australia in November, Dale Steyn is now eyeing a return only in June 2017, which could see him miss out on a lot of cricket, including the Indian Premier League (IPL).

Steyn had a successful surgery in Cape Town but has been ruled out for much of the action early next year. "The first two to three months is just the healing phase, so by the end of February I will start to be able to do things like light bowling, start swimming and all that kind of stuff," Steyn said.

It was the same shoulder where he suffered a less severe hairline fracture less than 12 months back. He had regretted rushing back from it. This time though, he's not taking any chances and he's also looking forward to the prospect of a break.

"It's actually really cool. I haven't had a long break like this in a good few years and every season I go into it with something wrong, whether it be a little hammie or whatever. It will be nice to go into a season, starting in June, and confidently know that I am really strong and in a good place," Steyn said.

South Africa's bowling attack stood up brilliantly in Steyn's absence to deliver a famous series win for the visitors in Australia. While being on the sidelines must hurt, Steyn is proud of his bowling pack. "We definitely out-bowled Australia and that's why we ended up winning. Our batters all contributed in parts but at the end of the day, I think it was our bowlers that won it."

South Africa will next host Sri Lanka in all formats, before embarking on a complete tour of New Zealand and then the tour of England. There's the IPL of course, taking place in April-May. The Champions Trophy begins on June 1 and that might well be the tournament which Steyn is targeting.

Dale Steyn likely to miss IPL, eyes June 2017 return - Cricbuzz

Back
Top Bottom