Comeback man Pujara sets sight on IPL

Chinmay Kore

Banned
Reaction score
Following a successful return to Test cricket, Cheteshwar Pujara is looking to make his presence felt in the limited-overs formats as well, showing a lot of consistency in the domestic competitions.
In an exclusive chat with Cricbuzz, the Indian cricketer speaks about his comeback, his chats with Rahul Dravid, his improvements in the limited-overs formats and the upcoming IPL auction, among other things.
You have come back strongly into the Test side. How has that experience been?
Overall, the way I made my comeback starting from the Sri Lanka series and then moving on into the South Africa series, I'm really satisfied with the way things have gone. I have always worked hard on my game and even now, the kind of form I'm in in the shorter versions of the game, I'm happy with the way things are shaping up overall, it is good.
Take us through your performance in the Sri Lanka and South Africa series. What were the hardships you faced and how did you overcome that?
It was difficult to be honest, when I was making my comeback, things weren't easy. It probably might have been the only chance I would have got, but the main thing was I was not thinking about it that this could be my last chance. My focus was to play well and to win the game. The kind of situation the team was in, we needed a good partnership (in the third Test against Sri Lanka) and the series was levelled (before this match).
That was a crucial Test match for the team also. So when I went out to bat I never thought about what I have to score, it was also about putting runs on the scoreboard. And then once I was in I was set and I knew that I was playing the ball well. I was always batting well in the nets. So whenever I would get my opportunity I was prepared for it. Initially the wicket was very difficult and it was better off spending some time on it and getting used to the conditions. But once I was in, I knew what kind of shots I could play, and Amit Mishra came and played a very crucial innings with me. The kind of partnership we had, probably that was a match-changing partnership. If we were able to put 300 on the board, it was because of that particular partnership. So that innings was very crucial for me, individually and even for the team, and I'm glad that I contributed in India's series win away from home.
We had a very good (South Africa) series as a team. We were playing on challenging wickets where you don't expect to score big. Overall, a decent total was somewhere around 250-300. A score of 50 or a 100 is a very good contribution to the team. Talking about the first Test match in Mohali, the way I batted in the second innings, I was very happy. Even overall, I was scoring 30s and 40s. If I look at it in a positive way, those 30s and 40s were crucial to the team, although I would have liked to convert them to 60s and 70s, or those 70s into 100s. That is the area where I feel I can improve. Moving ahead, I think the next Test series is in June. So I have enough time to work on my game and do whatever adjustments I have to make.
At the moment I am focussing on the T20 format because that is what we are playing at the moment, for the state team, and moving forward even the IPL. Hopefully I would be part of the IPL and I would like to perform well even there.
With the upcoming IPL auction and the probables to be picked for T20 WC, how important is Syed Mushtaq Ali for you?
It is really important. If you see, all the franchises are looking at this tournament, having a keen look at how the guys are performing and they are planning their auction strategy accordingly. This tournament is really important for all the players who wants to be part of the IPL. They can prove their form and prove their talent through this tournament. As far as I know, BCCI conducted this tournament before the IPL auction so that the franchises also can have a good look at the players.
You have been doing well in the domestic limited-overs competitions. Has anything changed in your approach to limited-overs cricket?
It's about getting to know your strengths and I worked on a few shots, which is helping me. I worked on my game where now I know when to accelerate and how to accelerate. So there are some shots on which I have worked and I can play those shots even in the game, so it's allowing me to score runs at a better strike rate. If you look at the first two T20s (Syed Mushtaq Ali) my strike rate was somewhere around 150 or even more, which is really good. That is what is really satisfying for me. And I'll keep working on my game, there is no limit for improvement. I'd like to continue scoring the same way and I'd like to continue adding some shots to my game, which will help me perform even better.
Has there been any changes to your technique?
Technically, I don't think I have made any big changes. There might have been some minor changes that I would have done for this particular format. But there aren't any drastic changes in my technique. There was just a bit of fine tuning which needed to be done and I have done it. I believe that the amount of runs I have scored at domestic and international level, I had the same technique and because of this technique I was successful and was able to score runs even on difficult pitches. Sometimes you go through a phase where you don't score as many runs as expected. I have been known to score big hundreds, double hundreds, and sometimes when you get out in 30-40s or 70-80s, it isn't counted as a very good performance. So you have to accept it and move forward, but overall I believe that my technique is my strength which is helping me score runs.
How much of a help has Rahul Dravid been? What did you learn from him?
When I worked with him during the India A series before I went to Sri Lanka, I had a word with him, (asked him) what I should do to improve my game, what kind of flaws (are there in my game), is there any technical errors which I should try and rectify. But the best thing what he mentioned is, he saw me playing in England, he saw me playing in New Zealand, and what he advised me was 'there is nothing wrong with your technique, sometimes you get good balls and you get out. Sometimes you are playing well but you don't score runs. So you don't really have to worry anything about your technique.' He was watching me closely in the nets and he told me that he didn't feel that there are any changes to be made to my technique. He told me that I'll have to continue batting in the same way and once I come up with a big knock, once I score a hundred, then I'll be back on track and I'll get my rhythm. It's all about waiting for the opportunity and your time will come.
During that phase when I was out of the team, he was the one who motivated me, he guided me as to what had to be done in that particular time. It wasn't just about how you want to improve as a cricketer or skill wise, but even mentally you have to be really strong and when you are not part of the team or out of the playing XI, you need to know what are the things you should be improving on and mentally how you want to be balanced and how you want to stay positive. So he was the one who told me that I don't have anything wrong with my game and I just need to keep working the way I have been and just wait for my opportunity. It's the same thing that happened. If you look at it, in Sri Lanka I was out of the team for the first two Test matches, but somehow my opportunity came and I have performed and I am very much thankful to Rahul bhai for that guidance when I was out of form. He was the one who game me the right advice, he guided me and that helped me. We discussed some things about technique and we mutually agreed that there is not any major chance which is required. What ever we spoke about the game, we felt that things were on track.
Whenever you have been dismissed, there is an expression of disbelief on your face. Why is that?
As a batsman you never want to get out to be honest, specially when you are batting well and you are timing the ball well, and know how the wicket is playing. Especially when you cross 30-40s, you don't feel like getting out, or even after 50 or 70 runs. But at times, when you are playing on a challenging wicket, you are bound to get out, it's how you handle the situation, how you contribute to the team's total. You need to know the situation, in case you get out, you have to analyse where the team will be, in which position.
I feel I am the kind of batsman who is known to score big runs and I can score big runs even on a difficult wicket. If I look at my international career, when I played against Australia in 2013, the last Test match at Delhi, the wicket was very difficult and I managed to score fifty in both innings, and in the second innings the chase was very crucial for the team. Even in South Africa, when I scored 153 (in Johannesburg) against the bowling attack which you can say is one of the best in the world - Morne Morkel, Dale Steyn, [Vernon] Philander was there, Jacques Kallis was playing. So I am capable of scoring good runs even on difficult wickets. I believe that when I get out, I don't enjoy getting out (grins), no ones does, and sometimes you react in a manner where you are surprised. Sometimes, you feel that you are set and there is no way you can get out. Somehow you get out and you have to accept it.
There is a perception that you have a weakness against spin, especially off-spin. Is that the case and why so?
No I wouldn't agree on it. Specially on a turning wicket, you are bound to get out against the spinners. Recently in the South Africa series, I got out against the off-spinners as well as the left-arm spinner, fast bowlers, right-arm leg-spinner, so I would not agree that I am vulnerable to off-spin. The way I handle off-spinners, the way I handle spinners, I think I am capable enough of playing against any spinner in the world. So I won't agree on it.
Having played under both MS Dhoni and Virat Kohli, what difference do you feel is there in their captaincy?
To figure out this one is very difficult, because, specially when you are playing Test matches, most of the times the fields are similar when you start the new ball and when spinners are bowling. (Looking at) field placements, it is difficult to figure out (the difference). Overall, to judge captains on their different kinds of strategies, the way they think, it is very difficult to compare someone as a captain.
Every individual is different and everyone has his own viewpoint, own strategies to implement. You can't play cricket in one particular manner because every team is different, every individual is different. So I wouldn't like to comment on how MS was or how Virat is, because they are different characters. MS Dhoni was a wicket-keeper, he used to keep wickets and judge things accordingly. Virat obviously is a batsman, so probably he feels about the game in a different manner. Many things I find similar (between them) but there might be some things which can be different.
http://m.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/77137/comeback-man-pujara-sets-sight-on-ipl

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock