Bulk SMS, MMS banned across India for 15 days

• Thread starter Thread starter Greatachiever
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 7
  • Views Views: Views 2,836

Greatachiever

Reaction score
The Home Minister has announced that bulk SMSes and MMSes have been banned for 15 days throughout the country, starting today. This decision comes in the backdrop of the fake MMSes and text messages that were sent to people from the northeast in Karnataka, which prompted the exodus across the state, Tamil Nadu and Mumbai. :'(:angry:):huh:gn:ohya

It is good that the government has pledged its support for the people from the North East...!!

yeah our govt is always slow to react as they were always busy in other things such as disrupting the parliament and taking wrong decisions.

you will be surprised that last all 4 sessions there are many bills are pending with parliament. without bills being passed our country will not approve and all these politicians are disrupting the sessions of parliament.:angry:angry

Government imposes ban on bulk SMses, MMSes for 15 days

Keeping in view the security concerns arising out of mass exodus of northeast people from Bangalore, Pune, Hyderaband, Chennai, Mysore, the government has imposed a ban on bulk SMSes and MMSes for 15 days.

The home ministry is believed to have directed that social media and blogs which are frequently used for spreading rumours be checked.

The ban will prevent cellphone from sending text messages to more than five people at a time. The restriction has been imposed keeping in mind the security scenario, said a notice issued by the security wing of the telecoms department (DoT).

But the data based messaging services like WhatsApp and BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) have been kept out of the restriction. The alerts from services, such as banks, airlines, for online transactions and railway bookings would also be exempted from the ban.

Recently, anti-social elements have used text messages to spread hatred which resulted in the death of 75 people in ethnic violence in Assam. The text messages in the past couple of days spread panic among the northeast people in these cities especially Bangalore which has resulted in mass exodus. The rumour mongers are targeting western and south Indian states.

Mobile phone companies confirmed they had received the government directive and complied with it.

http://www.telecomtiger.com/PolicyNRegulation_fullstory.aspx?passfrom=breakingnews&storyid=15343&section=S174

I am ok with this ban on bulk sms. I thought only bulk sms will be banned. But suprised to see that even mobile to mobile sms has been banned. I have 2 sims docomo and vodafone and was sending sms freely since morning. But now both network has blocked my sms and received the foll. message on my docomo mobile. Similar msg received on vodafone also.

Sad government, instead of doing something else. They have announced this step.. I don't know when they are going to grow :x

Back
Top Bottom