BlackBerry Mercury QWERTY Android Smartphone Set to Launch at MWC 2017.

Saj 007

Reaction score
BlackBerry Mercury QWERTY Android Smartphone Set to Launch at MWC 2017...

19cb206c0c7cb4a6c4d6ed5a1229f3b3.jpg

While most of us had our hopes pinned on TCL Communication Technology Holdings (TCT) unveiling the much-awaited BlackBerry QWERTY smartphone at CES 2017, it appears we will have to wait a while longer. The company has announced that while the Android smartphone will be previewed at CES, it will be launched at MWC next month.
TCT in a press release on Wednesday revealed that amongst the first smartphones it will launch this year is the "latest BlackBerry smartphone", said to be focused on "security, productivity and reliability." It went on to say the smartphone will be previewed at CES, which it indeed did, revealing that it's codename is Mercury as we've been hearing all along. The company also revealed that the spacebar has a fingerprint sensor built into the space bar, while the keyboard itself has capacitive touch capabilities for scrolling. It will also feature a USB Type-C port for charging and data transfers, and it will run Android Nougat.
As for the MWC launch, Steve Cistulli, President and General Manager for TCL Communication (TCT), North America, in a statement said, "We look forward to unveiling details around this distinctly different and impressively designed BlackBerry smartphone around the Mobile World Congress timeframe next month."
Cistulli had teased the BlackBerry smartphone in a video earlier this week, and on Wednesday shared yet another video on Twitter, showing the QWERTY smartphone from several angles.

One more look… #BlackBerryMobile#CES2017pic.twitter.com/dSjVuMWd35
— Steve Cistulli (@SteveCistulli) January 4, 2017

To recall, BlackBerry in September announced it would stop making smartphones, and instead completely outsource their design and production while licensing the brand to third-parties. CEO John Chen then revealed that one last keyboard phone would be launched by the company. The first partner to come on board was TCL (now known as TCT) in December. Later that month, TCT had teased that it would reveal more details at CES 2017 about the how the BlackBerry brand legacy will live on. We've now come full circle.
The BlackBerry Mercury aka BlackBerry DTEK70 aka BlackBerry Press has been rumoured for a while, and several leaks have occurred in the recent past.
The smartphone is expected to run on Android 7.0 Nougat, sport a 4.5-inch (1080x1620 pixel) display, and be powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 SoC coupled with 3GB of RAM. It's expected to come with 32GB of inbuilt storage that's expandable via microSD card, and sport an 18-megapixel rear camera apart from an 8-megapixel front camera.

BlackBerry Mercury QWERTY Android Smartphone Set to Launch at MWC 2017 | NDTV Gadgets360.com

BlackBerry Mercury QWERTY Android Smartphone Set to Launch on February 25, Ahead of MWC 2017...

3c1b59cb3cda6355d3cfc1689e63a579.jpg

TCL Communication Technology Holdings Limited (TCT) at the CES 2017 preview event had announced that the new BlackBerry smartphone codenamed Mercury will be launched at an MWC event. Now, the Canadian smartphone maker BlackBerry has finally confirmed the launch date. In a tweet, BlackBerry Mobile official Twitter handle revealed February 25 as the launch date for the upcoming Mercury smartphone. The tweet also had a GIF image showing the upcoming Mercury smartphone. Unfortunately, the company as of now has not revealed the timing for the event in Barcelona next month.

To recall, BlackBerry was expected to launch final QWERTY smartphone, made by TCL, at CES in Las Vegas earlier this month. The company however changed plans and promised to launch the new Mercury at the MWC show next month.

TCL gave a glimpse of BlackBerry Mercury smartphone at the CES 2017, without any real details disclosed alongside. The smartphone is being touted as the "last phone designed and engineered in-house by BlackBerry."

At the sidelines of CES 2017, TCL had confirmed to Gadgets 360 that the new BlackBerry smartphone codenamed Mercury won't make it to the Indian market following the license deal in December.

However, BlackBerry later stressed that it is looking at more licensing partners to bring the BlackBerry Mercury and future smartphones to the rest of the world. This will mean that there is a possibility that Mercury will be unveiled in India after all, albeit from a different manufacturer. Notably, the Canadian company has already tied up with BB Merah Putih to bring BlackBerry-branded phones to Indonesia, and it can be expected to launch soon.

BlackBerry Mercury QWERTY Android Smartphone Set to Launch on February 25, Ahead of MWC 2017 | NDTV Gadgets360.com

Qwerty keypad is out dated now. They will also see downfall like nokia faced.

Why bro? Everywhere I see this keyboard layout. I don't see how QWERTY is outdated. In my opinion it's the best layout.

Are you using any other keyboard other than QWERTY?

Sarkar said:
Why bro? Everywhere I see this keyboard layout. I don't see how QWERTY is outdated. In my opinion it's the best layout.

Are you using any other keyboard other than QWERTY?
Sorry bro, i meant the hard keys. Not the qwerty pad itself. I hope you got what i am trying to say.

Nokia had also made many such hard keypad smartphones. It takes more effort to type than touch screen phone also easier for lazy people. [emoji14]

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock