AT&T finally offers iPhone insurance starting July 17

sunveer

Reaction score
iphone.jpg

When spending a chunk of change on any piece of technology, like an iPhone in this case, we often worry about losing it, having it stolen, dropping it, or getting caught in the rain with it. AT&T is putting our fears aside thanks to a new standard insurance policy on all iPhone models.

Starting on July 17, customers can enroll in the insurance program within 30 days of an upgrade or a new activation. The insurance costs $4.99 a month and will protect against accidental physical or liquid damage, loss, theft, and mechanical or electrical malfunctions for all iPhone models. Depending on the model, there will be a $50 or $125 deductible on each claim.

I’m not an AT&T customer, but the last time I purchased a new phone from T-Mobile I was offered the option of buying insurance. I was a little iffy about spending the extra money after already spending $300 on a new phone, but then the salesperson filled me on a little secret. He said if I ever dropped it, got it wet, etc., I should call the company and tell them it was stolen. No questions asked, and I would have a new phone. I never ended up dropping my phone or using the insurance, but it was nice to know I had it there just in case.

As for AT&T’s offer, since you can only enroll within 30 days of a new activation or upgrade, you can’t insure a phone you’ve had for more than a month. So, if you’ve had your phone for a year and a half already and are looking for a way to get a new phone before your two-year contract is over, don’t get any ideas of buying the insurance and “conveniently” dropping it in the toilet so that you can get a brand new phone from AT&T .

The very first iPhone wasn’t able to be insured by AT&T at all, even though the company offered insurance for its other phones. However, in 2010, AT&T began offering insurance for $13.99 a month from an external company with a $199 deductible. Needless to say, that wasn’t very popular.

For our recent iPhone owners or for those planning on purchasing an iPhone, will you be paying the extra $5 a month for insurance?

via MacRumors

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock