Android reportedly working on standalone VR device

rahul1117kumar

Contributor
Reaction score
Co-founder of technology blogs Engadget, Gizmodo and Joystiq tweeted out some details of a standalone Google VR headset. The VR device is expected to be launched at next week’s Google I/O event. The device will be less powerful than the HTC Vive or the Oculus Rift in terms of graphical capability, but better than Samsung’s Gear VR. Google’s VR device is expected to be as powerful as a smartphone. Oculus Rift and HTC Vive deliver content with a personal computer doing the heavy lifting.

Android VR will definitely be announced next week, and from what I’ve heard will be less powerful than the Vive or Rift.
3:59 PM - 11 May 2016
Peter Rojas
@peterrojas

The tweet followed on the heels of eagle eyed redditors spotting a mention of Google’s VR device in the Unreal Engine patch update notes. The patch notes were later changed by unreal, but referenced a plugin for Android VR . Another clue is the schedule for Google’s I/O conference. One hour on May 19 is dedicated to VR at Google. The details of the event says “What we have built, what we have learned, and where we are headed.” This seems to indicate Google has a device to show off.

Google is also working on a controller for the Android based VR headset, according to the sources of Android Police. Android Police has further details of the device. The project is apparently internally referred to by the code name mirage.

Android reportedly working on standalone VR device Tech2 Mobile

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock