5G on Google Pixel Phones in India

• Thread starter Bapun
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 47
  • Views: Views 7,846
Installed QPR2.1 update released on 20th of Jan 2023 which mentions fixes to 5G connectivity issues. But it made zero difference to 5G reception of Jio. It doesn’t latch to 5G network at all unless forced using Android service menu. But then it latches to only Band n28 (700 Mhz) and speedtests fail to complete with hardly any data connectivity.

Can’t believe a big organisation like Google who MAKES Android cannot get 5G cellular connectivity right. Bunch of incompetent fools in their wireless radio dept.
It's India centric update(I will say wait till March security update, this issue won't get solved till that time). India has been always getting poor quality handsets(Poco F4 didn't get update since five to six months, it has started getting Android 13 update directly, in last week)
WDppGVC.png

. In US, there is no issue with Pixel 7 series speeds. There were issues in Pixel 6 series. But those are ironed out in Pixel 6A and eventually Pixel 7 series. You see that's why Pixel 6A is best selling smartphone at 299-449USD category. Pixel 7 same, all issues are ironed out and great value for money at 449USD after three months. At 799 for 256GB of Pixel 7 Pro, it's hell lot better than S22U.

Last edited:
Anyone managed to get Proper Jio 5G experience on their Pixel 6a with new QPR2.1 Beta Update released on 20th Jan?

So some wildly good things I want to confirm about my Pixel 6a

1. Suddenly Jio 5G started working with decent 5G speeds ranging from 0-100 Mbps on Band n28 and 100-900 Mbps on Band n78​
  2. Vo5G enabled by rooting and working flawlessly. Can force 5G NR exclusive mode under *#*#4636#*#* and make & receive calls over 5G.​

Some bad things:
  1. 5G reception is poor compared to my iPhone 13 Pro Max due to crappy Samsung Exynos 2100 modem.
  2. You have to root to get Vo5G
Keep in mind that you still need 5G Trial offer activated on your number before doing all of this. This method DOES NOT activate Trial offer on your Jio number

Method for enabling 5G VoNR or Vo5G (Both are same thing), (Requires Root)
  1. First install latest 13 QPR2.1 Beta released on 20th Jan 2023. Link here. You can use Pixel Flasher from here
  2. Unlock bootloader and flash boot with this patched boot file from here. More info about process here
  3. Then install Magisk apk from here and run it and let it finish rooting your Pixel and reboot.
  4. Then install FX File explorer and grant it root access
  5. Edit /data/user_de/0/com.android.phone/files/carrierconfig-com.google.android.carrier-89918740400278732189-2018.xml
  6. The file carrierconfig-com.google.android.carrier might have different number but this was the file on my Pixel 6a for Jio.
  7. Add this line before the </bundle> at the end.
Code:
<boolean name="vonr_enabled_bool" value="true" />

Reboot and Vo5G option should appear

Enjoy

Screenshots
nZeuZ1S.png
kRLAny9.png

Last edited:
Suddenly Jio 5G started working with decent 5G speeds ranging from 0-100 Mbps on Band n28 and 100-900 Mbps on Band n78​
Yes, I also noticed same thing. My phone also started latching to 5g and giving 500+ Mbps speed.

I haven't rooted or done anything else other than installing the beta.

I haven't rooted or done anything else other than installing the beta.
If you want Vo5G then you have to root. It’s surprisingly stable and better than iPhone’s LTE fallback and all calls go through even in poor network conditions. I have no problems so far because of excellent blanket 5G coverage in my area.

Currently running my 6a under forced “NR only” settings from service menu.

Keep in mind that you still need 5G Trial offer activated on your number before doing all of this. This method DOES NOT activate Trial offer on your Jio number
Jio doesn't consider Pixel 6a as 5G phone as 5G is only available for Beta software users for now. So official Jio 5G support for Pixel 6a is coming only after Stable update, that is coming by March 2023. God knows when Vo5G is coming as it is NOT even available to beta users as well. Till then we have to live with extra bad coverage as well as extra bad battery life.
  1. 5G reception is poor compared to my iPhone 13 Pro Max due to crappy Samsung Exynos 2100 modem.
Forget Exynos, Network coverage of all Pixel phones including Snapdragon ones (Pixel 3a) has very very bad coverage issues. Only thing that is better comparing Samsung phone(s) is better wifi connectivity and better data speeds. But Pixel phones always had the WORST network coverage all over the world.

Jio doesn't consider Pixel 6a as 5G phone as 5G is only available for Beta software users for now. So official Jio 5G support for Pixel 6a is coming only after Stable update, that is coming by March 2023.
Jio had started offering 5G Trial to people using iOS 16.2 betas.
For Pixel 6a, Right now in MyJio app, at one place it tells us to f*** *** and buy a capable 5G phone but under Device Compatibility checker, it congratulates us and asks us to wait for 5G update from manufacturer. :p

Jio had started offering 5G Trial to people using iOS 16.2 betas.
For Pixel 6a, Right now in MyJio app, at one place it tells us to f*** *** and buy a capable 5G phone but under Device Compatibility checker, it congratulates us and asks us to wait for 5G update from manufacturer. :p
Simply because of the volume of users using iPhone. Atleast you are getting 5G. For my Pixel 6, it says that I don't have a device bought in India.
IyEm1Bg.png

@suku_patel_22

Wow this is new !! My Pixel 6a was purchased in USA and so was my iPhone 13 Pro Max.

You can temporarily insert a sim in capable 5G device for 2 days and Jio will activate the 5G offer. Then you will be able to use 5G on your Pixel 6.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock