14-year-old Advay Ramesh from Chennai wins Google Community Impact Award for Asia

rahul1117kumar

Contributor
Reaction score
Advay Ramesh, a 14-year-old student from Chennai, has won the prestigious Google Community Impact Award from Asia. He created a device that enhances fishermen’s safety and productivity. Ramesh’s “FishErmen Lifeline Terminal (FELT)” hand-held terminal uses the Standard Position Services (SPS), an open service without encryption provided by the Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System to enhance fishermen’s safety and productivity at the sea.

Ramesh, a Class 10 student from Chennai’s National Public School, is also among 20 finalists shortlisted to compete for a $50,000 scholarship from Google. “Winning the Google Community Impact Award means a lot to me, it would help me learn more and develop my idea further,” Ramesh said after winning the award.

“I have often read news about the troubles encountered by fishermen in Rameswaram, Tamil Nadu. They have to stay at sea for many days to do their work. Sometimes, Sri Lankan forces arrest them for crossing the International Maritime Boundary line. Location-based information can provide many valuable services to these fishermen to handle these situations,” Ramesh said in his project description.

The Google Community Impact Award honors a project that makes a practical difference in the innovator’s community by addressing an environmental, health or resources challenge. “Young minds are inventive, thoughtful, and determined to try things that other people think are ‘impossible.’ It’s imperative for us to support and encourage these young people to explore and challenge the world around them through scientific discovery,” said a Google spokesperson. Out of several projects across the globe, Google selected top 100 ideas, including 14 projects from students across India.

14-year-old Advay Ramesh from Chennai has been conferred Google Community Impact Award for his device, which enhances fishermen’s safety and productivity. Google Community Impact Award honors a projects which makes a practical difference in the inventor’s community.

14-year-old Advay Ramesh from Chennai wins Google Community Impact Award for Asia | Latest Tech News, Video & Photo Reviews at BGR India

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock