WhatsApp cross 200 million monthly active users in India; look to integrate payments

rahul1117kumar

Contributor
Reaction score
WhatsApp has reached a new milestone, having garnered 200 million monthly active users in India. This milestone makes India WhatsApp’s largest market. Essentially, the company has added 40 million in just over three months after revealing it had 160 million users in India back in November last year.

“India is a very important country to us, and we’re proud to have 200 million people who use
WhatsApp to connect with their friends, family and communities. We build every WhatsApp feature to be simple, reliable, and secure, and this vision is in line with what Digital India promises to achieve,” Brian Acton, WhatsApp co-founder said. “We will continue to invest so we can help more people across India, and we hope to contribute more to India’s vision for digital commerce in the future.”

The latest numbers yet again show WhatsApp’s popularity in India, and prove how far it is ahead of other messaging apps. Acton was also quoted as saying that the company plans on investing to ensure that more Indians can use the messaging app to communicate. Starting off as a messaging app, WhatsApp has come a long way having added voice and video calling. Earlier today, it also changed the way users put up status messages, making it more Snapchat-like.

Earlier today, Acton met with India’s IT Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad to discuss ways in which WhatsApp can contribute to India’s vision for digital commerce. The company has already said that it plans to roll out commercial messaging this year for businesses, as it looks to tap into enterprises for monetizing its platform.

After their meeting, Prasad tweeted, “Brian Acton, the co-founder of @WhatsApp and a fine mind in the field of information technology met me today. I also appreciated the good role of platforms like @facebook, @WhatsApp are playing in the field of digital empowerment.”

WhatsApp crosses 200 million monthly active users in India; looks to integrate payments

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock