Saqlain asks Oz selectors to be patient in finding Warne's successor

Reaction score
Former Pakistani spinner Saqlain Mushtaq is quickly becoming a spiritual mentor for Australia's current crop of spin bowlers.

Mushtaq has urged the Australian selection panel to show patience and faith in their next spin selection or risk the possibility of thew post-Warne stagnation continuing longer than desired.

He is at the Centre of Excellence in Brisbane with Australia's young spin talent, spending a week trying to coax everything he can from the 15 men considered the best and brightest slow bowling prospects in the country.

Mushtaq is enthusiastic about the possibilities but believes little will be achieved unless the habit of exposing players at Test level, only to drop them in favour of new blood soon after, is shelved and players are given reasonable chances to show their talents.

He believes spinners need time to adjust and mature at the elite level and should be afforded the same sort of latitude given to some of their batting counterparts, The Age reports.

"A spinner needs more time. I think the legend Shane Warne set the standard for Australia. It's a big loss for Australia and because of that, I think these guys have a bit of a problem," Mushtaq said.

"They have all the varieties - left armers, off spinners, leggies - but the thing is spinners need time. You can't make a spinner in a day or in a month. It takes time. You've got to be patient. Australian cricket has all the varieties but they have to give them proper opportunity, a proper chance," he added.

Australia has used 10 spinners since Warne's retirement from Test cricket in 2007.

http://icc-cricket.yahoo.net/newsdetails.php?newsId=16127_1309519740

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock