Samoa Claim Third with Entertaining Win

Reaction score
Faasao Mulivai has played one of the most entertaining innings of the week for Samoa in today's third place play-off against Fiji to lead his side to a victory and cap off a successful week for the affiliate member country.

Clearly not keen to spend time running between the wickets, Mulivai took the "stand and deliver" approach in his innings of 67 off 35 balls that included four 4s and an incredible seven 6s.

"I love running between the wickets, especially when it's for the guy at the other end, but for myself I prefer not to," said Mulivai. "But seriously it was just great to get some runs after two golden ducks earlier in the week."

Not to be outdone Pritchard Pritchard put on a show for the fans with some huge hitting late in the innings including one 6 that landed in the creek at Amini Park a good 100 meters from the center of the wicket. His late cameo of 28 not out helped Samoa reach 3-172 off their 20 overs.

Mulivai and Pritchard were well supported by their captain Geoff Clarke who avoided being run out for his 4th consecutive knock to bat through the innings and post a solid 43 not out.

Set a huge task Fiji were in trouble early when Mulivai found himself back in the action taking a spectacular diving catch off the bowling of Lautala Fuimaono to send Sekove Ravoka back to the sheds for a duck.

Iniasi Cakacaka and Joji Bulabalavu then went about chipping away at the total with a speedy 58 run partnership. However the departure of Bulabalavu for 35 triggered a Fiji collapse that saw them 5-68 after 10 overs.

The task from here on in was always going to be difficult for Fiji despite Sakaraia Lomani launching a couple of big 6s in a vain attempt. In the end Fiji fell 32 runs short.

Coming into the tournament as the only affiliate member country provided Samoa with an opportunity to show that they can match it with the associate member sides in the region, and Mulivai says his team are happy with their overall performance.

"To win three games against associates is a real blessing for us," he said. "It was great to reach our goal of beating associates but a little disappointing not to reach our main goal of making the final but it is just great to be involved in Division 1."

The final of the Pepsi ICC East-Asia Pacific Division 1 will take place on Amini Park today at 2pm local time between the hosts and Vanuatu.

Brief scores:

At Amini Park: Samoa 3-172, 20 overs (F Mulivai 67, G Clarke 43 not out; V Yabaki 1-14)

Fiji 10-140, 18.2 overs (J Bulabalavu 35, I Cakacaka 26; S Cotter 3-9, F Mulivai 2-22)

Samoa won by 32 runs

http://icc-cricket.yahoo.net/newsdetails.php?newsId=16188_1310009100

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock