• Replies Replies: Replies 1
  • Views Views: Views 1,130

mmadhankumar

The Earth will be better without Us..
Staff member
Community Manager
Solutions
Reaction score
Reliance Netconnect, the mobile CDMA broadband service of Reliance Communications, is reported to have blocked Wikipedia across the Tamil Nadu and Karnataka circles from November 15 till yesterday at around 4 p.m. The Wikipedia domain was unavailable across all languages. The error message generated after trying to access any page on Wikipedia did not indicate an ISP-level block; it simply displayed that the Internet connection to the server wasn’t working. The media repository of Wikipedia, the Wikimedia Commons, was accessible in the two states.

Users who contacted the customer service helpline were told they would receive a resolution within 48 hours, but none arrived. Through the course of the 5-day blockade, Wikipedia was available on other Internet service providers (ISPs) in the two states. Users who attempted to ascertain if the block was indeed at the ISP-level by trying to access Wikipedia through free proxies could not do so; most free proxies too are blocked on Reliance Netconnect. However, a user managed to access Wikipedia through a new and comparatively unknown free proxy, indicating that the block was placed by the ISP.

Wikipedia users were miffed at the free online encyclopaedia being inexplicably unavailable. Srikanth Ramakrishnan, a prolific Wikipedia editor, said, “When I plugged in my Reliance Netconnect on the November 16, I was hoping to work on an article on Wikipedia. However, the page refused to load. Initially I thought it was a signal issue and moved around the house looking for a better signal. However, that didn't work. I filed a complaint with customer service and they assured me that they would resolve the issue within 48 hours. When asked why it was blocked, they admitted several sites were blocked due to security reasons. I tried several proxies, from the well known ones to some lesser known ones, but free proxies do not work on Reliance Netconnect. I was upset.”

On contacting Reliance Communications, we were told that it has not placed a blanket block on Wikipedia in Tamil Nadu and Karnataka.

Reliance Netconnect blocks Wikipedia in TN and Karnataka for 5 days

Back
Top Bottom