Reliance Jio reportedly limiting voice calls to 30 minutes

rahul1117kumar

Contributor
Reaction score
Reliance Jio may have been generating a lot of buzz since its launch in September, but not all of it has been positive. Issues with slow speeds and call failures have already been widely reported, and now we have come across a report about an issue relating to incoming and outgoing calls. It claims that Jio isn’t letting users be on a call for more than 30 minutes. BGR India has reached out to Reliance Jio regarding this reported issue, and we will update the post when we hear from them.

Maktechblog reports how a Jio user is not able to make or receive voice calls of over 30 minutes. As a part of Jio’s free Welcome Offer, users are permitted to unlimited voice calls, and while that may be the case, this time limit is a tad baffling. The blog put the claim to test by placing a call from Jio to Idea Cellular, and vice versa. In both the cases, the calls were cut after a duration of 30 minutes. This is however not an isolated case, and a quick search online shows many have complained about voice calls being cut at exactly the 30 minute mark.

Reliance Jio’s website or app doesn’t mention the 30 minute cut-off time for voice calls anywhere, but it could be a measure to reduce the congestion on the networks. Since launch, Jio has been battling incumbent network operators on the issue of points of interconnect (PoI). While rivals claimed to have offered enough PoIs, Jio says it is far from enough, which is resulting in crores of call failures every day. It has reached a stage where a parliamentary panel met with representatives of COAI and Jio to discuss the PoI issue that has been marring users’ overall experience.

But call drops isn’t the only issue Jio has to deal with. Users have long been complaining about a stark drop in 4G speeds since the commercial launch. TRAI data reveals that Jio is offering the slowest data speeds among the current network operators in India. Airtel led the list with average speeds of 11.4Mbps, followed by the likes of Idea Cellular and Vodafone that offer average speeds of 7.6Mbps and 7.3Mbps respectively. Jio, on the other hand, lags behind with average speeds of below 6.2Mbps. It was a similar case with upload speeds as well. Though, Reliance Jio called the statistics biased against its network. Earlier this month, Reliance Jio announced adding its own servers on Ookla’s Speedtest app for clearer idea of what speeds its users are getting.

Since its launch, Reliance Jio has garnered over 16 million users courtesy of its free Welcome offer. Valid till the end of this year, users getting onboard with Reliance Jio network are entitled to free voice calls, messages, unlimited 4G data, and free access to Jio’s suite of apps. Looking at the response, there are a few reports claiming that Jio could extend the validity of the Welcome offer to March 2017. Once the offer ends though, you can choose from plans starting at Rs 19 with one day validity, Rs 149 plan with 28 days validity along with voice and data benefits, going all the way up to Rs 4,999 for 28 days with voice and data benefits for heavy internet users.

Reliance Jio reportedly limiting voice calls to 30 minutes

Shocking ,,but i dont think this is true i used to call more than one hour on jio sometimes i think not true

This has been done so that people don't use Jio connection as baby monitor after all calling is free [emoji1]

I did just one call more than 30 mins and it did disconnect, I am not sure after how many minutes. Also my case cannot be trusted as I am using JioFi.

Most operators have that function. That's to save your money. I faced in Vodafone too.

Yes, this is true. But you can call any number of times. I called several times and the calls get disconnected after the 30 minutes duration. But I called again and got connected.

See how misleading the article is. It's suggesting as if one can not call again if they cross 30 minutes. Most operators have this cap at one hour. But since jio provides unlimited calls, it's absolutely fine to put it at 30 minutes.

ilikered said:
See how misleading the article is. It's suggesting as if one can not call again if they cross 30 minutes. Most operators have this cap at one hour. But since jio provides unlimited calls, it's absolutely fine to put it at 30 minutes.

Agreed! I'm travelling these days in between Jaipur-Jhunjhunu-Jaipur (Rajasthan) each time I visit it's network is improving each time. Superb coverage.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock