RapidShare shuts down March 31

mmadhankumar

The Earth will be better without Us..
Staff member
Community Manager
Solutions
Reaction score
rapidshare_logo-780x244.png

RapidShare, once the most popular file-sharing service on the Internet, has announced it is shutting down. The service ends March 31, after which all accounts will no longer be accessible and will be deleted automatically.

Founded in May 2002, RapidShare was a one-click file hosting service that grew quickly as pirates used it often to swap various content. In 2009, the site claimed to have 10 petabytes of files uploaded to its servers, and in 2010, it was said to have hundreds of millions of visitors per month, making it among the world’s 50 most popular websites.

rapidshare_shutting_down.png

The site’s announcement notes that customers can extend Standard Plus (€49.99 per month) and Premium (€99.99 per month) subscriptions until Feb. 28. That leaves the month of March for pushing users off the service.

The site’s message doesn’t given a reason for the imminent shut down. The company doesn’t have an active blog, and nothing has been posted on its Facebook Page since January 2014 while its Twitter account hasn’t tweeted since December 2013.

If you’re a RapidShare user, you have about seven weeks to move your content elsewhere. “We strongly recommend all customers to secure their data,” RapidShare notes, as people won’t have an option to retrieve it in April.

Increasing competition with cloud storage services is a likely cause of the closure. While RapidShare has no limits on upload or download sizes, it does make you wait to download files if you are not a premium user. Subscribers can download simultaneous large files after a waiting period.

More: RapidShare shuts down March 31 | VentureBeat | Media | by Emil Protalinski

O my.. it was d best sharing website, I d known since my childhood days ... :(
RIP rapidshare ! :s

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock