Preston Mommsen retires from cricket at the age of 29

rahul1117kumar

Contributor
Reaction score
Preston Mommsen, Scotland captain, has announced his decision to retire from cricket at the age of 29. Mommsen will pursue a career outside the game, taking up a "very exciting and attractive opportunity in the corporate world" Mommsen, who led Scotland in the 2015 World Cup in Australia and New Zealand and the 2016 T20 WC in India, played 42 One-Day Internationals and 24 T20 Internationals for Scotland.

"After much thought and reflection, I have taken the decision to step down as the captain of Scotland and not renew my contract with Cricket Scotland, in order to pursue a very exciting and attractive opportunity in the corporate world. It has been an incredibly difficult decision but one that I felt I had to make at this stage in my life," Mommsen said on Monday (November 21).

"I would like to thank everyone involved at Cricket Scotland, both past and present, for giving me the opportunity to fulfill my dreams and supporting me on my journey. I am enormously proud of what we have achieved over the last few years, and I have no doubt that the team and the organisation will continue to grow its presence on the global stage in the future.

"I leave the team in a very healthy position with a world-class management setup and a group of players that are demonstrating the skill and hunger to push Scotland cricket into the top 12 in the world. I would like to wish both the team and the organisation all the very best," he added.

Mommsen was born in South Africa and even represented the African country at the Under-19 level. He then moved to Scotland and attended the Gordonstoun School in Moray. He proceeded to play for Kent's second team. After moving permanently to Edinburgh, he qualified for the Scottish National Team by the virtue of living in the country for over four years.

He played his first international in 2010, against Netherlands. Mommsen scored his first international ton against Namibia in a four-day game at Windhoek. In June 2013, he was named captain of the side to take on Australia 'A' in the First-Class game in Edinburgh. A pelvis injury forced him out of Scotland's 2013 T20 WC qualifying campaign and the team failed to bag a place in the main tournament.

He came back into the ODI side for the World Cup Qualifiers in January 2014. He captained Scotland in the absence of Kyle Coetzer, who flew home due to an injury. Mommsen was brilliant in his leadership and led by example, scoring 520 runs in the tournament at an average of 86.66. His second century helped Scotland secure an emphatic 41-run win over UAE in the final of the qualifiers. He was named the ICC Associate and Affiliate Cricketer of the Year on the back of this magnificent performance.

Despite Coetzer's return to the side after the qualifiers, Mommsen was confirmed as Scotland's captain for their 2015 World Cup campaign.

Only 29, Mommsen still had more than a few years of cricket left in him, but has now chosen to step away from the game to focus on a career in the corporate world.

Preston Mommsen retires from cricket at 29 - Cricbuzz

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock