Ponting steps down as Australia captain

kramkumar

Reaction score
Ricky Ponting, the most successful captain in Test cricket, stepped down as Australia skipper on Tuesday but will continue as a batsman with the team.

The 36-year-old, who has led Australia in one day internationals since 2002 and Tests since 2004, has been under pressure after an Ashes defeat to England earlier this year and a quarter-final exit as defending champions at the World Cup.
2TsAZ.jpg

Michael Clarke , who stood in for the injured Ponting in the final Ashes Test and for the one-day series against England that followed it, is expected to replace his mentor as skipper.

"I've had no tap on the shoulder from anyone. This is a decision wholly and solely from me. I thought the timing was spot on," Ponting said at a press conference in Sydney

http://www.rediff.com/cricket/report/world-cup-2011-ponting-steps-down-as-australia-captain/20110329.htm

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock