Ponting shocked by Cricket Australia's decision to axe Katich

Reaction score
Sydney, Jun 17 (ANI): Former skipper Ricky Ponting has said he was shocked by Cricket Australia's decision to axe Simon Katich from its list of 25 contracted players.

Katich labelled the decision "absolutely ridiculous" and Ponting said Katich's criticism was warranted.

"It's fair to say he didn't hold back in his press conference and rightly so as well," Ponting told to Nine Network.

"To be omitted from the contract list was a great shock to him. It was a shock to me. I was surprised that he wasn't named," he said.

"His performance in the last two or three years has been as good as anybody's in the world," Ponting said.

Asked if he meant his comments to be a criticism of the selectors, Ponting said: "You can make of that whatever you like. I would have liked to have another old bloke around the group with me, yeah."

Ponting and Mike Hussey, both 36, have been retained and Ponting will play as a batsman only in the Test and one-day sides after giving up the captaincy

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock