Discussion [Poll] (Winner: Hotstar) Best Digital streaming app provided by television networks in India

Which is your favourite entertainment streaming app(provided by television networks)?

• Hotstar

Votes: 38 66.7%
  • Zee5

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • SunNXT

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • SonyLiv

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • Voot

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Others

Votes: 8 14.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Guys, please compare apps in the given options or similar to them. Netflix, primeVideo etc are not provided by our television networks.please don't include it in 'others' section.

Last edited:
@DJ Roy @barryallen26 guys I'm telling among the current apps in the poll. I have definitely not included Amazon and Netflix while putting this up. 1. Amongst the current apps, hotstar is the one which loads up faster than anyone else.
2. Hotstar is also guaranteed to provide video uptime 90% of the time. This is from my experience. I've lived in areas with 2g, 3g, 4g and 4g+ connectivity. Hotstar almost always gives me the video playback without waiting time for buffer

doesn't even remember the last position of a movie or a series across devices
Really? Because it works for me across multiple Android phones (maybe because I have a premium subscription, but it does work)

And try streaming a movie in 720p which is available on both Netflix and Hotstar. You'll see the huge difference in bandwidth consumption
This is what I like about hotstar. I don't care about high quality. I would want it in a respectable quality, so I don't mind the video coming down to 360p at times. This particular thing ensures that I get my video almost everytime.

.the content is not catogerized properly
What makes you think that way? With the latest update popular in reality, crime, romance section of TV and movies first shows the languages you selected at startup followed by other languages. I'm okay with it, but would have preferred a sorting, filtering thing too

bandwidth consumption is too much compared to other players
Then I believe you haven't seen sonyliv and jiotv. Jiotv's auto video quality during live stream is horrible. Sonyliv doesn't even provide any option to change video quality, so you buffer the highest possible quality. Hotstar provides video quality options, and that works. For more information on how hotstar provides live streams in various qualities you can read through this, one of the most efficient ways of streaming any live content. You may not understand it, but me being a developer can understand it perfectly.

My bias towards hotstar is not because of any random reasons, but because of the technical things they have done at the backend. And that's visible too

Guys, please compare apps in the given options or similar to them. Netflix, prime etc are global apps not based or originate from India. If so there is Youtube which is topper for all.
Don't word it like that. You created a poll which compares OTT apps of TV broadcasters, say it that way. Netflix, prime video and YouTube don't fall under it

Voted: Hotstar. The premium content is better than other streaming service.

Don't word it like that. You created a poll which compares OTT apps of TV broadcasters, say it that way. Netflix, prime video and YouTube don't fall under it
Already said. But not mind by someone🙄
Edited my post

Last edited:
@DJ Roy @barryallen26 guys I'm telling among the current apps in the poll. I have definitely not included Amazon and Netflix while putting this up. 1. Amongst the current apps, hotstar is the one which loads up faster than anyone else.
2. Hotstar is also guaranteed to provide video uptime 90% of the time. This is from my experience. I've lived in areas with 2g, 3g, 4g and 4g+ connectivity. Hotstar almost always gives me the video playback without waiting time for buffer

Really? Because it works for me across multiple Android phones (maybe because I have a premium subscription, but it does work)

This is what I like about hotstar. I don't care about high quality. I would want it in a respectable quality, so I don't mind the video coming down to 360p at times. This particular thing ensures that I get my video almost everytime.

What makes you think that way? With the latest update popular in reality, crime, romance section of TV and movies first shows the languages you selected at startup followed by other languages. I'm okay with it, but would have preferred a sorting, filtering thing too

Then I believe you haven't seen sonyliv and jiotv. Jiotv's auto video quality during live stream is horrible. Sonyliv doesn't even provide any option to change video quality, so you buffer the highest possible quality. Hotstar provides video quality options, and that works. For more information on how hotstar provides live streams in various qualities you can read through this, one of the most efficient ways of streaming any live content. You may not understand it, but me being a developer can understand it perfectly.

My bias towards hotstar is not because of any random reasons, but because of the technical things they have done at the backend. And that's visible too
Sony Liv does has quality options. They have added the feature back in June during the FIFA World Cup 2018. Hotstar does works across devices. But it doesn't remember the last position of a video. If you are watching a movie supposedly Cars 3 and stop that movie on 55 minutes. And log in to your android tv. It won't resume from that position. Talking about quality feature Hotstar's android tv app doesn't have quality options.

Sony Liv does has quality options. They have added the feature back in June during the FIFA World Cup 2018
Hmm, didn't know that. My fault. But the app load time is pretty slow, which puts me off

Hotstar does works across devices. But it doesn't remember the last position of a video. If you are watching a movie supposedly Cars 3 and stop that movie on 55 minutes.
It does, at least on multiple Android phones that I've tried, with a premium subscription. Not sure about regular users. Though not 55 minutes, it will be around 2-10 min less time, like instead of 55, it will be around 45-52 min mark.

Talking about quality feature Hotstar's android tv app doesn't have quality options.
Don't know about that.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock