Mitchell Starc likely to be ruled out of T20 WC

• Thread starter Thread starter Chinmay Kore
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 2
  • Views Views: Views 415

Chinmay Kore

Banned
Reaction score
Injured pacer Mitchell Starc revealed on Wednesday (January 6) that he is 'very unlikely' to be a part of Australia's T20 WC campaign in March the only ICC trophy that has thus far eluded the current World Champions.
The bowling hero of Australia's record fifth Would Cup triumph in 2015, Starc suffered a stress fracture in his right foot on the first day of the historic day-night Adelaide Test against New Zealand, in November 2015.
Starc, who bagged the prestigious Player of the Tournament award at the ICC showpiece event for his 22-wicket haul, is yet to resume bowling since his trouble ankle gave in.
Starc developed as many as three bone spurs on his left ankle. The growth was scraped out in a surgery, along with the removal of a chunk of bone from the back of the joint and scar tissue that built up over years of wear and tear.
Despite the initial suggestions that the 25-year-old pacer might recover in time for the March event, Starc has disappointingly admitted that the scenario is now "very unlikely" as he remains unsure of when he would be able to make a comeback in competitive cricket.
"From all reports the surgery has gone really well," Starc said at the Sydney Cricket Ground, where incessant rain washed out the fourth day of Australia's ongoing third Test against the West Indies. It's just waiting for the fracture in the foot to heal more than anything now. The ankle is going really well and movement in it is really good at the moment. Hopefully I can get this (orthopaedic) boot off in the next couple of days and start doing more than just sitting on the couch."
Starc, after sustaining the fracture, was subsequently ruled out of the home series against West Indies, limited -over series against India and the tour to New Zealand in February.
Speaking to journalists at the SCG, Starc all-but ruled himself out of the T20 WC too. The uncertainty over his return also casts doubts over his availability for the ninth edition of the Indian Premier League, beginning in April, where he spearheads the pace attack for Royal Challengers Bangalore.
Starc however has indicated that he might be able to resume running at top-pace around mid-February but his return to top-level bowling might be delayed until Australia's ODI tri-series against the West Indies and South Africa in the Caribbean in June.
"I don't want to rush it," Starc said. "I want to make sure it's 100 per cent because I've rushed back before and been dropped after a game. So I'll make sure it's 100 per cent before I play my first game. I've played non-stop for nearly two years, so the silver lining is that I get to give the body a bit of a break and get back and rebuild that strength and make sure everything is 100 per cent before I go again.

"It's disappointing I've missed half the summer and the likelihood of a (T20) World Cup but the silver lining is that I've got everything right and I don't have to play through that ankle injury any more. I don't think you can ever say you've cemented a spot 100 per cent, so I assume I'm going to have to work my butt off when I'm back to bowling to try and get my spot back (in the Australia Test and limited-overs teams).

"But I'd like to think in the last 12 months I've come a long way in all forms of cricket, Starc said reflecting on his journey in 2015.

Starc's recurring ankle troubles were first noticed during the Ashes opener in 2015 in England where the pacer was noticeably limping. And Starc feels the heavy strapping required back then was partially responsible for the fracture. He revealed we wanted to take this forced lay-off after the conclusion of the T20 WC but had to give in after the ankle trouble aggravated in Adelaide.
http://m.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/77087/mitchell-starc-likely-to-be-ruled-out-of-icc-world-t20

Back
Top Bottom