Mitchell Johnson may retire after Newzeland Test series

• Thread starter Thread starter Chinmay Kore
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 4
  • Views Views: Views 777

Chinmay Kore

Banned
Reaction score
BRETT Lee has urged Mitchell Johnson play Test cricket for at least another year after the Australian spearhead dropped the strongest hint yet that this summer could be his last.

Johnson, who has raised the prospect of retirement several times this year, yesterday reinforced his commitment to “be here for the summer” but beyond that it appears there are no guarantees for a man who considered giving it up after the Ashes.

Lee believes Johnson is needed to mentor Australia’s young fast bowlers over the coming year and says it would also be fitting for the star to bow out having surpassed the great Dennis Lillee’s mark of 355 Test wickets.

Mitchell Starc and Josh Hazlewood are leading an exciting stable of young quicks, but Lee (310 wickets), who is about to be leapfrogged by Johnson as No.4 on Australia’s wicket-taker’s list, says the Test side is not ready for life without “Big Mitch’’.

“Australia do need him to kick on,” Lee said.

“They’ve lost at least six key players with experience (since the Ashes). You need someone like Mitchell Johnson. It’s almost like an investment.

Must Read

As-it-happened: Burns, Warner dominant

Video: Burns belts two sixes to raise ton

World cricket’s new batting great

TV F-bomb as rock star faces Brett Lee

Warner rated among Aussie opener greats

“Yes, you’ve got Mitchell Starc, right, but he still needs to be nurtured. He’s still learning off Mitchell Johnson.

“Mitchell Johnson still needs to pass on what’s been passed down to him (over the years) as we’ve all been down that food chain.

“I think it would be invaluable for the young guys coming through.

“To have a role model, such a wonderful guy in Mitchell Johnson, it’s really going to put them in good stead for the next few years.”

Mitchell Johnson still hasn’t decided how long he will play on for.
On Saturday Johnson made the extraordinary admission he was unsure how he felt about playing on this summer right up until he took the field at the Gabba on day one.

Reinvigorated by his home Queensland crowd, Johnson says he is now set for a big summer after taking three first-innings New Zealand wickets.

Former teammate Chris Rogers said on radio that had a home summer not come so quickly after the Ashes, he felt Johnson would have retired.

Even at 34, Johnson is the fittest man in Australian cricket and Lee admits it will be up to what the veteran strike-weapon feels in his heart and his head.

When Johnson joined the 300-club in England he referenced Lillee’s famous mark as a personal goal, and Lee hopes that will motivate the ferocious competitor to fight on.

There are no questions over Johnson’s importance to the Australian team.
“It comes down to where his mind is at. His body looks tremendous in terms of his pace, his agility and he’s got that combination now of being super fit. He’s a supreme athlete,” said Lee.

“I would love to see him go past Dennis Lillee’s record. I think it would be fitting because Dennis has been such a mentor to him and played a huge part in his career.

“He’ll probably go past me and he’ll go past Dennis in the next 12-18 months I think if he plays that long and wants to play that long.

“I would love to see him go for at least another 12 months.”

Johnson told ABC radio he was committed to helping lead Steve Smith’s young side this summer.

“It is a really important period for me around this squad with a lot of young guys in there,’’ he said.

“Smithy being a young captain, I feel like I can help out in a lot of ways so I feel as long as I am committed to it and want to play then I will be here for the summer and try and help out as much as I can.’’
http://m.couriermail.com.au/sport/c...for-another-year/story-fnii0bxd-1227600118291

Mitchell Johnson doesn’t need to look far afield to know that his days as an international cricketer are numbered. Read more at
Bitly
It's unconfirmed on this link so anyone interested can read it :tup

So Jonson will also interested in Playing MCL :HEHE

Back
Top Bottom