Microsoft's Phone Business Take's A Hit In Q3

• Thread starter Thread starter Ankit_bpl
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 5
  • Views Views: Views 546

Ankit_bpl

Reaction score
62e915c42f476fec33301ec1ed2ec02f.jpg

Microsoft has released its earnings report for Q3 2015, and while most of the company's businesses have performed well, the phone business has taken a hit - revenue was down a disappointing 54% compared to the same period last year.

a336c414e6df43ffc1a731ce9cdd4e83.jpg

This means that the Redmond-based company managed to sell around just 5.8 million Lumia phones in the previous quarter, compared to 9.3 million it sold in Q3 2014. Quarter-on-quarter sales were also down - a total of 8.4 million Lumia's were sold in Q2 this year, which, for the matter of fact, was up compared to Q2 last year.

For this quarter, the software giant is pinning its hopes on the recently announced Windows 10 Mobile flagships - the Lumia 950 and 950 XL. Both are now available for pre-order across Europe, and are also listed on the US Microsoft Store website - the company has already confirmed that the Lumia 950 will be an AT&T exclusive in the US for a limited time.

Rahulan Ratnarajah said:
If Nokia couldn't survive, how on earth Microsoft can ??

You will see the true power of Windows 10 in next few month when new Win 10 mobile phones will be launched ;)

Sarkar said:
You will see the true power of Windows 10 in next few month when new Win 10 mobile phones will be launched ;)

Honestly i don't like the tile design of Windows phone..
Android & iOS r much better :shy for me !

May be effective software, but many people don't like it :sp

Rahulan Ratnarajah said:
Honestly i don't like the tile design of Windows phone..
Android & iOS r much better :shy for me !

May be effective software, but many people don't like it :sp

I m on the exact opposite :shy

I really like Tile interface as it gives us so much info(& in future control also), the only thing preventing me from buying my first Win phone is lack of apps, but it's just a matter of time bcoz of windows 10 universal apps which runs on both Win 10 desktop and mobile :ohya

54% revenue drop is not a serious problem for Microsoft mobile division as such types of poor performance was happened in earlier quarters also. For e.g. in Q2 14 Microsoft/Nokia managed to sell 5.8 million Lumia phones compared to 7.3 million lumia's were sold in Q1 that year.
We should see the revenue - volume mismatch. This time revenue decreased @ 58% but volume sales decreased only @ 48%. So, Microsoft needs a performance booster from it's flagship range...without good sale of it's upcoming flagship range it can't move out from red.

Back
Top Bottom