Kvitova beats Sharapova to win Wimbledon women's singles title

Reaction score
London, July 2(ANI): Czech Republic's Petra Kvitova on Saturday defeated Russian fifth seed Maria Sharapova to win her first Grand Slam title with a 6-3, 6-4 victory in the women's singles final at Wimbledon.

Kvitova was playing in her first major final, but it was three-time Grand Slam champion Sharapova that showed her nerves.

The 2004 Wimbledon champion double-faulted six times, including twice to get broken to 4-2 in the first set.

"It's hard to find the words. To stand with the trophy and see great champions in the Royal Box. Of course I was nervous, I thought I could win Wimbledon, but I had to focus on every point," The Telegraph quoted Kvitova, as saying.

For Sharapova, back in a Grand Slam final for the first time since being struck down by shoulder problems in 2008, it was a bittersweet occasion.

"Unfortunately in tennis there's only one winner so big congratulations, you played a great tournament. To be back and holding the runner-up trophy, obviously I would have wanted that big one, but it's something I'll be back to try to get soon," Sharapova said.

Kvitova, currently ranked World No.8, became only the third Czech woman to triumph at Wimbledon after nine-time champion Martina Navratilova and Jana Novotna.

Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic will lock horns in the men's final tomorrow.

http://in.news.yahoo.com/kvitova-beats-sharapova-win-wimbledon-womens-singles-title-152507854.html

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock