Jio Fiber My 6-Year Experience, Issues, and Solutions

• Thread starter Thread starter raj17
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 0
  • Views Views: Views 308

raj17

Reaction score
I have been using Jio Fiber since 2019, so it’s been around 6 years. Today, I’m going to share my experience with it. This might be a bit long, so please be patient and take the time to read it. Thank you.

Elmo Hello GIF by Sesame Street

Cookie Monster Hello GIF by Sesame Street

In 2024, I discovered these forums, which have really helped me address my issues, find proper solutions, and assist others.

Before Jio, I was using my local cable internet (ORTEL Broadband), which provided 10 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload for around 480 rupees. In my area, there were no other internet providers available, so I went with ORTEL. The funny part was that my local provider only had one plan. The service was a 3 out of 10—you probably already know how they treat customers; they don’t care if the service gets disconnected. Even though they provided internet through cable (copper coaxial cable), I got around 14 ms ping, 50 ms download latency, and 30 ms upload latency. I still don’t know how they managed that much optimization, even with cable internet.

I remember back in 2018, my local cable internet had a weird issue where, after 6 PM, i couldn’t access the internet. Despite making over 50 complaints, they didn’t listen. After all those back-and-forth conversations, in 2019, I decided to switch to Jio Fiber.

On September 5, 2019(source internet) , Jio launched their fiber internet publicly with pricing, but before that, they were in beta testing, and those who got the connection didn’t need to pay anything until the prices were announced. I think at that time, 100 GB was free, and if you needed more data, they provided a 50 GB data booster for free.

Installation: I opted for Jio Fiber at 1500 rupees, which included 1 month of free with 100 Mbps. After the first month, I recharged my plan with 399 rupees, which was more than enough for me.

Service
In those 6 years, I think I faced complete disconnection issues around 30 times. For uptime, Jio is the best, but if your internet gets disconnected, you won't get service on the same day. You need to wait at least until the next day because, whenever I raise a service request, the slot is unavailable on the same day. If you're lucky, the service person might get the job done on the same day.

Problem with Jio Fiber -
  • Ping, Latency, and Jitter: Jio Fiber's ping, latency, and jitter are good for normal use, but if you are a gamer, online educator, or remote worker, it might cause problems. In India, Jio's user base is so large that their servers can't handle all those connections at low latency. They keep it at a certain limit, so you can't get less than that.
  • ONT Restrictions: Jio Fiber ONTs are heavily locked and controlled by default policies. If you change something in it, after some time, it will revert to the original settings.
  • ONT Credentials: If you ask for the username and password of the ONT, they straightforwardly say they can't provide it. Why? If I want to do some basic configurations, then why they not gave me. Luckily, the username and password are available on the internet.
  • IPv6 vs. IPv4: Jio Fiber gives you both IPv6 and IPv4, which is great, but IPv6 is less optimized compared to IPv4, resulting in higher latency, ping, and jitter. If you decide to disconnect IPv6, then none of the Jio services will work, especially Jio calling services. Below, I tested the speeds I get with IPv4 alone and with both IPv4 and IPv6.
  • Custom DNS Issues: Custom DNS does not work well. When I use a custom DNS, for the first 10 minutes, I get low latency, fast browsing, and everything is smoother, but after 10 minutes, everything goes back to normal. This might be due to ISP DNS override.
  • Service Engineers: Service engineers have limited knowledge about core technical issues, which causes more headaches. You have to explain what’s really happening, and then they say, "Okay, let me reset the router, and your problem will be solved." Really? If resetting the router was the solution, I could have done it myself. So why even bother asking in the first place?
  • QoS Issues: I'm using the JCOW414 router, and its QoS is not well-optimized. The primary priority for QoS is on video watching and voice calls.
  • Wi-Fi Signal Issues: A few years ago, my 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi signal strength started getting low, even when I stood in front of the router. My phone wasn't getting a single Wi-Fi signal. To solve this issue, it took them 3 days to complete the service, and in the end, they had to change the router.
  • Wi-Fi Signal Strength: By default, the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi signal strength is set to 75%. If you want more range, set it to 100%.
  • ONT Router Performance: The Jio ONT router is totally trash. I’m using my old TP-Link router, which is 7 years old and only supports 2.4GHz. However, if I compare it to the Jio Fiber 2.4GHz, my TP-Link router gives me better speed, better range, and even better latency.
  • IPv6 on TP-Link Router: IPv6 is not working on my TP-Link router. I don't know whether it's an issue with my TP-Link router or because the Jio ONT is heavily locked. When I use access mode on the TP-Link, then I get IPv6. I'm not exactly sure what the problem is.

I think I have covered all the important points that will help you. If I missed anything, I will edit this post and add more points later

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom