IPL 2017 is in danger: Ajay Shirke

rahul1117kumar

Contributor
Reaction score
Ajay Shirke, the secretary of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), says that time is already so short ahead of the next edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL) that the 2017 tournament is in danger of not starting on time. Speaking with TOI, Shirke categorically said that the BCCI cannot pay the Rajasthan cricketers, that the members of the Board aren't agreeing to comply with the Lodha Committee recommendations and why he will not resign from the Board.

How do you see this legal issue develop between the BCCI and the courts? Will it affect Indian cricket?

It is unfortunate that the BCCI finds itself in the position it is. What started as a controversy related to match-fixing and betting indulged in by some players has ended up at a totally different place. In the immediate future, I do not see cricket getting affected, but if the matter drags along and a complete vacuum gets created in the management of the BCCI by lack of experience, that situation has potential to create a major crisis.

The apex court wants BCCI to implement the recommendations and BCCI says - while it wants to do it - it does not have the required majority among members. This stalemate has continued for a while.

The Hon'ble Lodha Committee had called me and the President to meet them. This was the first meeting immediately after the July 18 Supreme Court order. I met the committee and was told that by September 30, the BCCI was required to call the existing full members of the Board and they were to formally adopt the new memorandum. I, accordingly, convened the meeting of the members for September 30, which was adjourned by a day as some members did not have clear representation letters from their associations. As secretary, I proposed that the new memorandum be formally adopted. This was seconded by the President. The members however did not pass the said resolution. Let alone 3/4ths majority, it did not even pass a simple majority. What else can the secretary do? Secretary does not even have a vote. If the Tamil Nadu Societies Act is to be followed, and it should be, any change of constitution (memorandum) requires a 3/4th majority. Assuming that is the case, nearly ten of those members will have to vote to throw themselves out.

It's November already. Work on IPL 2017 should've already begun?

The 2017 Indian Premier League is in danger. We have no idea whether it's happening. How can it happen? We've already conveyed the details to the Committee on what needs to be done. There's a long list that we sent to them on the work that's pending. There's no time.
The SC has specifically asked for you and BCCI president to file affidavits of compliance adopting the acceptance of the Lodha Committee, and unless they comply, funds will not be released. Has that forced some associations to rethink about accepting the recommendations?

Following the recent SC order, the fact that no disbursement of funds will take place has already been conveyed to the member associations and they are fully aware of this. However, I personally do not think that will have any effect on their voting decisions.

In the last order, SC asked BCCI not to enter into any contracts unless the Lodha Committee sets a threshold and appoints an independent auditor. Where do things stand on that front?

The BCCI is following the order fully. All disbursements have been stopped to the state associations as well as no new contracts have been scheduled for finalisation. Even the IPL bids have been put on hold. We now wait to hear from the Lodha Committee about the threshold limit that they wish to set, as well as the appointment of the auditors.

Rajasthan players haven't been paid...

We cannot pay them.

Last time there was a crisis in the BCCI, you resigned as treasurer. But now some people say you want to cling to power and are not resigning despite the crisis...

When I resigned as treasurer, I truly believed and even today stand by the decision I took. Back then, I was convinced BCCI's stand would do harm to the institution because no individual can be above the institution. Today, I do not see any reason to run away from this situation. If even a single member says that I should leave my position I will leave.

IPL 2017 is in danger: Ajay Shirke - Cricbuzz

santosh said:
It's good news if so really happened

IPL should be clean up but shouldnt be withdraw .. Itz a gud platform for youngsters :) ..

Sai Laxman said:
IPL should be clean up but shouldnt be withdraw .. Itz a gud platform for youngsters :) ..

That's what ajay shirke , anurag thakur & company is not willing to . As long as they prevent RM Ladha panel recommendations , their Interests will be safe and that's what they want that's why making such comments to gain public sympathy

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock