IOA appoints Olympic gold-medallist Abhinav Bindra as goodwill ambassador

rahul1117kumar

Contributor
Reaction score
After the uproar over Salman Khan's appointment as the good will ambassador for the Rio 2016 Olympics, the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) has now roped in shooter and 2008 Olympic gold-medalist Abhinav Bindra as well.

The IOA has also approached Tendulkar and Oscar-winning music composer AR Rahman with a similar offer.

India's first and only individual Olympic gold-medallist, Bindra said he received IOA's invitation on Friday and immediately agreed for the role.

"Received a letter this afternoon from the President and Secretary General of the IOA inviting me to be a goodwill ambassador. I am humbled that they thought I am worthy enough for this honour. I respectfully accept this with gratitude," Bindra said in a series of tweets along with an image of the letter.

Received a letter this afternoon from the President and Secretary General of the IOA inviting me to be a goodwill ambassador. CONT.
- Abhinav Bindra (@Abhinav_Bindra) April 29, 2016

I am humbled that they thought I am worthy enough for this honour. I respectfully accept this with gratitude. CONT .

I have lived my life for the OG &have always done my best to work for the betterment of the Olympic movement in India &I will continue CONT.

While my focus will be to perform at Rio,I will be writing to every member of the Indian Olympic team &offering them any help they may want

I would be open to doing this until the 15 th of July &after that my focus will completely be towards my own performance until my event CONT

Request every Indian citizen to whole heartedly support the INDIAN OLYMPIC TEAM #rio2016
#Indianolympicteam
#indianolympiansarechampions

pic.twitter.com/uhNLtmynv0

The rifle shooter, who is also a former World Championships gold-medallist, will be competing in the Rio Games come August and said he would write to all the Olympics-bound athletes to motivate them.

Tendulkar and Rahman, however, are yet to respond to the IOA's offer.

Bindra's appointment was earlier backed by Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) captain Gautam Gambhir, who said that there was no real shortage of sports personalities in the country.

"I think there is no shortage of real sportsmen in this country. People have done massive things for the country and for the Olympic sports as well. I would have liked someone like Abhinav Bindra, someone who could have been a great ambassador," Gambhir was quoted as saying according to IANS.

Salman's appointment as the goodwill ambassador for the Olympics had left the sports community divided, with legends such as Milkha Singh strongly opposing the move. However, Salman also found some support from the fraternity, including batting legend and former India captain Sourav Ganguly.

"Salman is popular and would bring visibility to the Rio Olympics, you cannot deny that. He is an entertainer. It is absolutely fine to have him as the ambassador. I think they can have other ambassadors as well, it's nowhere written that they can only have one ambassador," said Ganguly.

IOA appoints Olympic gold-medallist Abhinav Bindra as goodwill ambassador

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock