Indian government could soon allow use of Wi-Fi, mobile phones on flights

rahul1117kumar

Contributor
Reaction score
Good news frequent fliers as travelling by an airplane is set to get a lot less boring. The Indian government is in discussions to allow the use of Wi-Fi facilities on flights in the Indian airspace. In fact, a decision could be taken as early as the next 10 days. “I will be able to give you good news in 10 days,” Civil Aviation Secretary R N Choubey said in response to a query on when Wi-Fi would be allowed in flights. At present, one is not allowed to use either a mobile phone or internet on flights in the Indian airspace.

Choubey seems quite positive about the outcome, and claims that there is a “fairly good chance” the government will allow the operating of Wi-Fi in flights. On being asked whether the use of a mobile phone or Wi-Fi could cause a security issue, Choubey said that the important thing was about the “ability to track voice and data.” In other words, security agencies could have the details of your calls or internet browsing, if deemed necessary. In addition to Wi-Fi , Choubey was asked if a flier would be allowed to make phone calls as well, and he replied, “We expect that to happen as well.”

“I must compliment the present DoT Secretary… I have been chasing it for quite some time. I am obviously saying so on the basis of what Deepak (DoT Secretary) has told me,” he said. According to him, the Cabinet’s approval would not be required for the proposal. “It (Wi-Fi facility) will be available to both Indian carriers and foreign carriers, which may be only overflying the Indian airspace,” he said.

Choubey was speaking at an awards function organized by the Air Passengers Association of India (APAI). Meanwhile, Choubey asserted that Indian airports are safe, adding that the country cannot afford to have unsafe airports when the aviation sector is growing at 22 percent.

Speaking at the function, Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari said the benefit of fall in oil prices has not been fully passed on to the passengers, even though fares have come down. India is one of the fastest growing aviation markets and would continue to be in the future, he added. Consumer Affairs Minister Ram Vilas Paswan said the government is working to bring in strict provisions to protect the interests of consumers, including those who are affected by flight cancellations. A bill to bring amendments to the Consumer Protection Act is expected to be passed in the Winter session of Parliament, he said.

Indian government could soon allow use of Wi-Fi, mobile phones on flights

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock