Discussion How are you managing with the Extreme Summer Heat ?

Detective Conan

Contributor
Reaction score
Guys, suggest some natural ways through which we can manage in this intense summer heat, not all of us have Air - Conditioning at home.

How are you dealing with the extreme summer heat.

p.s the weather thread is only used for updates regarding temperature changes . This thread could be used for sharing ways to manage in summer heat or summer season.

I'm using dark shade of curtains to block the sunlight post 10 am specially the bigger windows and balconies.

Second option is usage of water cooler for open areas like halls and living rooms, it's helping to lower the temperature.

Open windows, and doors in the evenings, keep them closed after around 10 am with thick curtains.

If having desert coolers then ensure proper ventilation otherwise it will just increase the humidity in room. Keep it placed in front of a window or any place that has access to external air.

NEVER forget sunscreen if stepping outside and stay in the shade as long as possible.

Other than that a pro tip to quickly cool down after coming from heat. Place chilled water bottles on your sides of neck where we check pulse. Major arteries are closer in that region, it will provide relief almost immediately.

The most effective solution is to use a heat resistant / reflective coating on the roof of your house. If you have the budget you can cover even the entire exterior with such coating. They are not cheap though. But you can definitely see around 5°c drop from exterior to interior, even with just the roof coat.

The above option is viable if you live in own house. But this second option is feasible even in rentals. You can install a false ceiling using thermocol or gypsum boards. Thermocol is cost effective while gypsum boards are more durable and elegant. I am using thermocol roofing at my shop and I barely feel the heat.

While you are outside in the scorching sun, have tender coconut water, sugarcane juice, or fresh fruit juice. Squeeze a lemon in a litre of water, add some sugar and a pinch of salt and Carry it with you. It can be instant energizer. Saviour from dehydration.

Avoid aerated, processed drinks or even chilled water. Even in the fresh juice it is better to avoid ice. It might be refreshing for that moment but it is not advisable.

Other than that a pro tip to quickly cool down after coming from heat. Place chilled water bottles on your sides of neck where we check pulse. Major arteries are closer in that region.

This is a big NO NO from me. After coming back home from the heat just switch on the fan and sit below it for few minutes. Drink water which is at room temperature. Avoid AC or chilled water immediately after coming in. Your body temperature should drop gradually. Not in a hurry. Don't try that. If an hot object comes in contact with cold water it expands. It is simple physics. It applies for our arteries too.

To beat the heat we, the Eastern/North Indian state have Pakhala Bhaat/Panta Bhat (fermented Rice) with just salt or a fried fish. It is very healthy and soothing too.

images-10.jpg

(downloaded from Internet)

This is a big NO NO from me. After coming back home from the heat just switch on the fan and sit below it for few minutes. Drink water which is at room temperature. Avoid AC or chilled water immediately after coming in. Your body temperature should drop gradually. Not in a hurry. Don't try that. If an hot object comes in contact with cold water it expands. It is simple physics. It applies for our arteries too.
At first glace it looks that way but cold wet neck towels are very common in sports for athletes and there is medical research in this area supporting it. UNICEF also recommends cold neck towels to cool down in summers.

Furthermore, it is recommended that endurance athletes use either a neck or head cooling intervention following the completion of their race to compensate for the effect of post-exercise hyperthermia, especially when the heat stress environment is hot and humid [67].
Carry a water bottle and a small towel, so you can hydrate and cool down by placing a wet towel on your neck.

At first glace it looks that way but cold wet neck towels are very common in sports for athletes and there is medical research in this area supporting it. UNICEF also recommends cold neck towels to cool down in summers.

Wet towel is different from chilled water bottles (which you recommended) bro... Wet towels are excellent cooling option.

@Optimus_Prime bro thanks for suggestion , 5th point agree although we don't consume them. some of the relatives used to consume more earlier it affected their health badly , have observed sadness from their near family members .

@Msingh bro thanks , curtains do help blocking and saving from external heat to an extent , yes air cooler helps in cooling of temperature.

@Abhinav bro thanks , opening of windows do help in cool air circulation in evening/ early morning - ( in evening - slight mosquito issue , nets in windows is useful.) yea agree about humidity issue without proper ventilation if used desert/air cooler for longer time. cold water bottle/ice cube do help in cooling if kept near neck side or face. only slight downside due to more temp difference from outside heat , we might get cold/ cough.

@mmadhankumar bro, thank you so much , I would definitely implement 2nd option when feasible after planning budget etc . have heard it does help in cooling reflects heat. Thermocol /Gypsum and additional roof head truly great idea bro.

keeping lemon juice with us is good idea, considering the packed juice bottle available in market even the ones saying no preservatives end up having more non natural additives and added sugar . agree bout aerated drinks they do feel like refreshing when drink chilled drinks afterwards it doesn't feel that cooler in body .

I guess neutral way we could try is to keep chilled drinks in room for some time so that it comes to near normal temperature. then later could drink it.

@Optimus_Prime bro even in Southern Indian states we eat porridge rice water, few states its called kanji rice is left to absorb the water after cooked warm . with onion /pickle or other condiments & few similar side dishes mentioned by you . Irrespective of preference the side dish portion is usually kept small, as its to complement only small portion otherwise side dish end up having more spices compared to main plain rice porridge dish. its cooling & soothing.

Desert coolers are really helpful , affordable compared to ac and even efficient to an extent . its saddening due to water issues in few cities including my city, unable to use air cooler at home frequently.

Thank you so much guys for valuable suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock