• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 0
  • Views Views: Views 629

Basil

Contributor
Reaction score
Hockey India Appoints V. Baskaran as High Performance Manager

baskaran.jpg

New Delhi: With an aim to find fresh talent across the country, Hockey India on Wednesday announced the appointment of Olympic gold medallist V Baskaran as High Performance Manager (South Zone). He will be working under Director High Performance, former Dutch coach Roelant Oltmans.

A former coach of the senior men's team, Baskaran will be implementing the Hockey India development programme for men and women at the grassroots level, including school, college and district level hockey. Baskaran will closely work with Hockey India state units to ensure consistency and delivery of Hockey India High Performance coaching programmes. He will take charge on July 1.

Speaking on his appointment, Baskaran said: "I thank Hockey India for giving me an opportunity to work in the grassroots of South Zone. I am sure that under the guidance of Oltmans and with the support of member units and academies, we will successfully implement Hockey India High Performance programmes in our areas which will further help us to find young talent".

Baskaran, who was the captain of the team that won the gold medal at the 1980 Olympics in Moscow, has 287 internationals caps and has represented India in the Olympic Games in 1976 Montreal, two World Cups in 1973 Amsterdam (Silver) and in 1978 Buenos Aires, two Asian Games in 1974 Tehran (Silver) and in 1978 Bangkok (Silver) and Champions Trophy in 1978 Pakistan (Bronze).

Baskaran coached the senior men national team for 10 years. Under his coaching, India played 187 matches including major tournaments such as the Olympic Games in 2000 (Sydney), two World Cups in 1998 in Utrecht and 2006 in Germany, Asian Games 2006 in Doha, Junior World Cup in 1997 in Milton Keynes (Silver) and Champions Trophy in 1997 in Chennai. In 1980, he received the Arjuna Award and in the following year, he got Padamshri Award.

Back
Top Bottom