FICA contemplating legal action against MCL for non-payment

rahul1117kumar

Contributor
Reaction score
The Federation of International Cricketers' Association (FICA) is contemplating legal action against the Masters Champions League (MCL), following the non-payment of dues. That, despite giving the management several deadlines, all of which have been breached.

The Twenty20 league for retired players was conceptualised by GM Sports, whose parent company is headed by Zafar Shah, whose integrity was questioned by the FICA on behalf of players who participated in the league held earlier in the year.

"It's pretty obvious the organisers of the MCL have lost credibility," Tony Irish, the executive chairman of the FICA was quoted as telling ESPNCricinfo on Friday (July 15). "The failure to honour contracts sends a strong message. It is not a straightforward process to bring legal action, but we ensured there were proper player contracts in place and we are looking to coordinate a class action on behalf of 40 or 50 players." he added.

"We have given the organisers several deadlines and these have not been met. If they want to hold an event next year, they have a lot of ground to make up. I think players will look at what happened in the first year and draw their own conclusions," said Irish of the league that was supposed to be a three-year affair.

Zafar had earlier, during the course of the league, said to Cricbuzz that the teething issues prevalent are being tackled professionally. "There were some teething problems and because the guys are coming from all over the world and there must have been some problem in transferring, but I'm sure that everyone has been paid according to their contracts," Shah had said on February, before adding: "If there are 100-200 people in your family, there will always be one who says he's not happy with the food. What can you do? It's like managing a big family right now. I'm sure the players understand, and that's why they are playing here with a good heart and a focussed mind."

Despite the assurance then, the payments have not been made - something which Irish acknowledged. "Despite several undertakings from Mr Shah that outstanding player payments would be made, under a payment plan proposed by MCL, many players have still not received payments due to them several months after the event. Some players have received less than 25% of their fee for an event that finished in February.

"It's also extremely disappointing that the event organisers have now taken to simply ignoring attempts by FICA, players and player agents to address the situation," he added.

http://m.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/...cbuzzFeed+(Cricbuzz:+Cricket+Scores+and+News)

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock