Discussion eSIM vs Physical SIM

• Thread starter Thread starter Optimus_Prime
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 4
  • Views Views: Views 323

Optimus_Prime

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey, I just got a new S23 that supports 2 physical SIMs and eSIM. A lot of people are using eSIM these days, so I wanted to know what the difference is between the two and what the pros and cons are. Should I switch to eSIM or stick with a physical

It's not like you can use 3 sims at once

2 physical sim
or
1 physical sim, 1 esim
or
2 esim

As your phone have dual sim slots just stick with physical sim.

No, added use because of esim though. All new phones provide just 1 sim slot + esim.

That's why most of the dual sim users are forced to switch to esim.

As your phone have dual sim slots just stick with physical sim.
I would also advise the same.

No, added use because of esim though. All new phones provide just 1 sim slot + esim.

That's why most of the dual sim users are forced to switch to esim.
I think Apple devices only giving a single physical SIM slot + eSIM for second SIM.

Most of the Android phones still comes with dual physical SIM slots.

Though this thread is old but @kanagadeepan has shared good insights on this topic.

I think Apple devices only giving a single physical SIM slot + eSIM for second SIM.
Yes. Add Google's Pixel phones as well bro.

Both the Trillion$ Companies, who loves green-washing ("Save Environment by removing Charger"), loves pushing Cloud services down to our throat (by not providing card slot), provides single SIM Slot + eSIM. Apple being Multi Trillion$ Co, removes the Physical SIM slot entirely in their home country USA, but provides DUAL SIM Slot for the same phone models in PRC / China + HK, because China being much bigger jerk than even Apple.

Regarding eSIM, I have mixed opinion. SIM Card slot is a Symbol of Total FREEDOM, whereas eSIM reminds me of those dreadful CDMA days. For example, if your phone's battery dies, you can swap the SIM card from the slot to any other phone (incl button phones) within seconds and you are good to go. Easy peasy. But if its eSIM, your network dies along with the death (0% battery) of phone battery.

But still eSIM phones have one IMPORTANT advantage, It is a savior during "Phone Theft". (Triple slot advantage (My thread in prev post by Bapun bro) is long gone now as there is NOT much Hybrid Slot phones supporting eSIM). Phone thief can't switch off the phone, not even disable data and Location access, provided we disabled "Drop down Notification bar access" from LockScreen.

So if chances of getting your phone stolen is once for 10 years, then on that fateful day, eSIM phones are God-sent. For the rest of the 3651 days (incl 2 leap years' extra days), SIM card slot phone is the King, imho.

Back
Top Bottom