England unfazed by criticism - Swann

Reaction score
England spinner Graeme Swann on Tuesday shrugged off criticism of his team's faltering one-day form, insisting the squad were capable of bouncing back to beat Sri Lanka.

England trail Sri Lanka 2-1 following comprehensive defeats at Headingley and Lord's, leaving them needing to beat the tourists in their remaining two games if they are to win the series.

Critics have questioned the make-up of England's side, pointing to the presence of captain Alastair Cook and Jonathan Trott, both of whom have a more traditional Test match approach to the game, at the top of the batting order. But Swann is adamant the home side can recover.

"We know we have to win the next two games to win the series and we are more than capable of that," he told Sky Sports.

"We need to replicate the form we showed at the Oval and put the last two games to the back of our minds," added Swann, referring to England's victory earlier in the series.

"I think we will start looking at changes when our management team and coaches think the order needs tweaking. It would be dangerous to make changes because someone said so in the commentary box.

"I think we have the best top six in the country and the best bowling line-up and we just need to get back to our form at the Oval as no-one was saying anything after that game.

"It only takes someone to get a hundred and guys to bat around them and we are posting 300 and we are a good team again."

Broad also defended the contribution of bowler Stuart Broad, who has yet to take a wicket heading into Wednesday's encounter at Trent Bridge.

Broad was fined for dissent at Headingley after an lbw appeal was turned down, but Swann is confident his team-mate will come good.

"He was disappointed with how the game finished at Headingley but he has fire in his belly and that's what you need. I want to see fast bowlers running in and bowling bouncers and bowling 90mph," Swann said.

"He does need to curb it when he steps over the line but he is repentant and he needs to move on and let his bowling do the talking."

http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/42539/england-unfazed-by-criticism-swann

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock