Dog Bites Kills More Than 2 Terror Attacks In Mumbai

Chezhiyan

Reaction score
MUMBAI: Dog bites in Mumbai accounted for more deaths in 20 years than the combined toll in two deadly terror strikes in the city-the 1993 serial bomb blasts and 26/11 attacks.

Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) made this startling disclosure before the Supreme Court on Wednesday. Since 1994, a total of 429 people, bitten by stray dogs, have succumbed to rabies and during the same period dog bites injured 13.12 lakh people. In the 1993 serial bomb blasts, a total of 257 people were killed and 717 injured. The 26/11 fidayeen attack on Mumbai resulted in 164 deaths and injuries to 308 others. Together, the toll was 421 deaths and 1,025 injured.

Appearing for the BMC, senior advocate Shekhar Naphade targeted NGOs which have moved the court against culling of strays. He told a bench of Justice Dipak Misra and P C Pant "the NGOs are active and make noise only in court. Every year, a large number of persons get bitten by dogs in Mumbai. When we try to remove the dogs, animal lovers protest. They do nothing on the ground to eliminate the problem. Let NGOs disclose to the court what have they done at the ground level".

Dog menace: SC asks animal board for rules

Appearing for a widow whose daily wager husband died of dog bite in Kerala, advocate V K Biju said the SC must decide which authority - the civic body or state government - should compensate the family.

Amicus curiae Dushyant Dave joined shoulder with Naphade and said he had received a message from a lady who has a spastic child who fears dogs. "She cannot take her child even around the housing society because of the huge number of stray dogs."

"There is one thing to be animal lover. But these animal lovers are so passionate that they obstruct the work of the civic bodies in capturing the stray dogs and sterilise them. Have the NGOs protested when infants are killed by stray dogs? Have the NGOs compensated the victims' families? Apart from injuries, several people desist from taking walk in the morning and evening because of the fear they have from dogs," he said.

The court, while asking the Animal Welfare Board to formulate a module to deal with the menace of stray dogs, asked states and union territories to respond to Dave's questions - how many deaths have been caused due to rabies and the number of dogs sterilised by the civic bodies.

On Naphade's complaint against obstructionist attitude of NGOs, the bench said: "We direct sterilisation and vaccination of stray dogs in accordance with the law and no NGO shall create any impediment in this work."

'Dog bites killed more than 2 terror attacks' - Times of India

:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall

Though this happened in Gujarat the problem is everywhere.I wonder the people who are champions of animal rights will behave if someone from their family dies like this.
How many human do you know took the booster shots of COVID? Problem is human deliberately put other humans at risk. Than have the audacity of questioning other animals. You are more likely to die from a bike or a car cash by some bull or a cow left out by it's greedy owner to feed itself than by some dog. I agree vaccination needs to be the norm for pet dogs. This might be some one-off incident. Street dogs normally don't attack people unless they are provoked. I once accidentally slipped and fell on a street dog during rain. He was so nice. He got hurt but moved away despite being hurt. I feed him milk and biscuits. We took care of him. He stays near us. Problem is dogs left by owners. They are hurt because of being abandoned. Feel threatened in the street. For this municipality can intervene. Even some owners buys breeds which are aggressive like Bulldogs. They can heavily fine these people. Government needs to bring laws which awards prison time to owners for negligence and abandoning pets.

Pitbull, Bulldog even Rott should be banned in India. Lab , Pug, Golden Ret should be mandatorily vaccinated by their owner and owner must proper train their dogs. I haven't seen aggressive street dogs till now. One stray dog all the time stay in front of my main gate. We give him rice, biscuit and Roti. He is very polite but only bark to unknown person.

How many human do you know took the booster shots of COVID? Problem is human deliberately put other humans at risk. Than have the audacity of questioning other animals. You are more likely to die from a bike or a car cash by some bull or a cow left out by it's greedy owner to feed itself than by some dog. I agree vaccination needs to be the norm for pet dogs. This might be some one-off incident. Street dogs normally don't attack people unless they are provoked. I once accidentally slipped and fell on a street dog during rain. He was so nice. He got hurt but moved away despite being hurt. I feed him milk and biscuits. We took care of him. He stays near us. Problem is dogs left by owners. They are hurt because of being abandoned. Feel threatened in the street. For this municipality can intervene. Even some owners buys breeds which are aggressive like Bulldogs. They can heavily fine these people. Government needs to bring laws which awards prison time to owners for negligence and abandoning pets.
If you bother to read paper you will come across many incidents where new born babies have been torn apart by street dogs.In Bangalore many such incidents have happened.Yes,more people die of road accidents but that doesn't mean that street dog menace shouldn't be controlled.In bangalore it is difficult to walk on roads after dusk without fear of street dog attacking you.I am not for cruelty on animals but there should be a control on them.And as i said as long as nothing happens to you or your family you will be a pet lover.

If you bother to read paper you will come across many incidents where new born babies have been torn apart by street dogs.In Bangalore many such incidents have happened.Yes,more people die of road accidents but that doesn't mean that street dog menace shouldn't be controlled.In bangalore it is difficult to walk on roads after dusk without fear of street dog attacking you.I am not for cruelty on animals but there should be a control on them.And as i said as long as nothing happens to you or your family you will be a pet lover.
Ask your councilor to start a dog shelter. Where will the homeless go?

My grandma's dog once bit a stupid kid a decade back. She was scratching it's tail while parents watched. We paid all the expenses for the kid. Despite our dog being vaccinated. Just last year my grandma found another homeless dog. She adopted him. Municipality people found about this and gave us some dog food. They vaccinated him and checked on him every now and than. He had habit of leaving house and moving around the neighborhood sometimes. Someone poisoned him. We didn't know why. After this we found out some old fart had problem with dogs playing with his sand. He left for renovation of his house. I was about to give him beating of his life. But my brother and grandma stopped me. See problem is human. I see people carrying stones despite the dog being in a relaxed posture. These retards have phobia of dogs or has criminal mindset. Instead of taking proper therapy. They abuse animals.

Ask your councilor to start a dog shelter. Where will the homeless go?
How about controlling the uncontrolled breeding?I remember in Bangalore when this was started concerned citizens immediately moved to court to get it stopped.
My grandma's dog once bit a stupid kid a decade back. She was scratching it's tail while parents watched. We paid all the expenses for the kid. Despite our dog being vaccinated. Just last year my grandma found another homeless dog. She adopted him. Municipality people found about this and gave us some dog food. They vaccinated him and checked on him every now and than. He had habit of leaving house and moving around the neighborhood sometimes. Someone poisoned him. We didn't know why. After this we found out some old fart had problem with dogs playing with his sand. He left for renovation of his house. I was about to give him beating of his life. But my brother and grandma stopped me. See problem is human. I see people carrying stones despite the dog being in a relaxed posture. These retards have phobia of dogs or has criminal mindset.
It's natural mindset of people to be scared of animals they don't know how it will behave.I ran fastest 100m of my life in childhood when chased by a dog who just took after me without any provocation.Don't you expect me to be cautious when near a street dog?What i say is if you love dog adopt them,don't let them loiter on streets.It's same for cows,buffalo's etc.
Instead of taking proper therapy. They abuse animals.
That breed is also there sadly.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock