Seeking Help Do these mobile operators double tax us?

dino29

Reaction score
Hi Guys, a question is constantly hovering over my mind. Do these mobile operators double tax us?

For example in DTH if we recharge our account with Rs. 300 then whole amount gets credited in our account and we activate packs as per our choice whose price includes taxes. Look at the same thing in mobile operators, they credit amount into ur account after deducting necessary taxes and thus whatever amount is available to us should ideally be used only as per tariff applicable for using different services. But in reality mobile operators charge tax again from this amount whenever we call, use data or activate any offer or service.

Suppose i did a recharge of Rs. 43 in airtel and got talktime of Rs. 35 in my account and now i wish to activate Rs. 35 smart pack using this balance then again airtel deducts tax from it though i have already paid the same in initial charge. Shouldn't this Rs. 35 amount be solely available for usage purpose, either airtel should offer full taktime + benefits for such activation or give same benefits at lower price devoid of tax.

Awaiting ur comments

Hi Guys, a question is constantly hovering over my mind. Do these mobile operators double tax us?

For example in DTH if we recharge our account with Rs. 300 then whole amount gets credited in our account and we activate packs as per our choice whose price includes taxes. Look at the same thing in mobile operators, they credit amount into ur account after deducting necessary taxes and thus whatever amount is available to us should ideally be used only as per tariff applicable for using different services. But in reality mobile operators charge tax again from this amount whenever we call, use data or activate any offer or service.

Suppose i did a recharge of Rs. 43 in airtel and got talktime of Rs. 35 in my account and now i wish to activate Rs. 35 smart pack using this balance then again airtel deducts tax from it though i have already paid the same in initial charge. Shouldn't this Rs. 35 amount be solely available for usage purpose, either airtel should offer full taktime + benefits for such activation or give same benefits at lower price devoid of tax.

Awaiting ur comments

That's because in airtel's case you are breaking your earlier terms and entering in a new term with 35 STV. So it's a new service so again service tax. It's like adding a top up on top of base pack in DTH where you will again pay tax for that top up.

Or you can think it like, you went to Macdonald and order Chicken burger and take a bite and you don't like it so you order Naan this time. You will see they will charge you service tax for both items.

If you wish to active STV 35 then ideally you should recharge with STV 35 only. The 43 recharge which gave you 35 talk time is for your base call rate plan.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock