Disney's Amit Malhotra to lead HBO Max in India and South East Asia

suneel123

Reaction score
97skgDB.jpg

This means that HBO content will no longer be available on Disney+ Hotstar when HBO Max launches. Maybe its price will decrease. Expect HBO Max to be priced on par with or a little less than Netflix, around ₹500 per month (wild guess).

Southeast Asia already has HBO Go which aired the Friends reunion live.

I think the headline of the post is misleading.There is a difference between "Potential launch" and Launch.

This means that HBO content will no longer be available on Disney+ Hotstar when HBO Max launches. Maybe its price will decrease. Expect HBO Max to be priced on par with or a little less than Netflix, around ₹500 per month (wild guess).

First of all, it seems Star India holds rights for India till 2024 (most probably) along the content deals made with other HBO content licensors like Sky.

And if the merger go through, Discovery is gonna be launching the service and they are going to be aggressive and will priced along the lines of Prime and Hotstar not Netflix.

Ps. If HBO content which is the selling point of that service was available on Hotstar at an aggressive pricing, no way HBO Max is going to succeed if they launch the service priced at the higher end of the spectrum atleast in India. So whomsoever is launching will be targeting consumers using agressive pricing. For example, Discovery+ costs same as Disney+ in the US, in India they have priced it at 299 per year now, no one will be buying it if they launch it per say 299 per month. That's called pricing to the market which Disney+ is doing aggressively using Hotstar.

Last edited:
Amit Malhotra, the executive who joined WarnerMedia to expand its HBO streaming operations in Southeast Asia, has separated from the company. His tenure lasted barely seven months.

Malhotra was drafted to WarnerMedia in June last year as MD for HBO Max in Southeast Asia and India. He joined from a similar role at Disney Plus.

The circumstances of Malhotra’s departure, first reported by Content Asia, are currently unclear. In a statement emailed to Variety, WarnerMedia said only: “WarnerMedia can confirm that Amit Malhotra is no longer with the company.”

HBO streaming service always has uncertainty. They can't compete with likes of Netflix or Disney+. This is why they keeps on cancelling shows before it's made. I won't be shocked if they cancel plans of expansion in South East Asia.

HBO streaming service always has uncertainty. They can't compete with likes of Netflix or Disney+.
HBO has one of the best credentials for making good content. However, the route Warner Bros. and At&T has taken with it is laughable. Whenever they are reporting numbers they always combine HBO linear subs as well to bloat the numbers.
I won't be shocked if they cancel plans of expansion in South East Asia.
There is something brewing there as well. Otherwise, I don't see a guy who spent 17 years with Disney has left Warner Bros. in 7 months. Its highly possible that it has to do with Indian Launch as well as most of the other countries he is in charge has already had a HBO branded streaming service.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock