Dhoni to mentor Jharkhand in Buchi Babu tournament

• Thread starter Thread starter rahul1117kumar
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 0
  • Views Views: Views 476
Reaction score
Mahendra Singh Dhoni has been appointed as the Jharkhand team’s mentor for the Tamil Nadu Cricket Association’s pre-season Buchi Babu Memorial All-India Invitational Cricket Tournament, starting in Chennai from Thursday (August 5).

Dhoni was originally supposed to be a part of the backroom staff for the entire duration of the tournament, but a last-minute commitment means that now he will join the Shahbaz Nadeem-led team only before their last league game.

“Dhoni was with the boys during the camp in Ranchi, and said he would want to join the team for the tournament as a mentor," Rajesh Verma, the secretary of Jharkhand State Cricket Association, told Wisden India . "The boys are thrilled as it gives them a chance to tap into his experience. The original plan was for him to be there from the beginning, but he now has a meeting in New Delhi. So, he will mostly join the team around August 12.”

Ever since retiring from Test cricket in December 2014, Dhoni has dedicated more time in nurturing upcoming talent. He played in the 2015-16 Vijay Hazare Trophy, the inter-state 50-over competition. It was his first assignment for Jharkhand after a gap of eight years . Even though he got only 179 runs in eight games, his presence in the dressing room made a huge impact on the youngsters.

“I observed silently standing at the boundary line what Dhoni bhai was doing and why," Ishan Kishan, who led India to the Under-19 World Cup final earlier this year, had told reporters during the campaign. What field he was setting for which bowler. When a wicket used to fall he used to tell me that ‘I placed this fielder because of Varun’s (Aaron) pace’. He would tell me what kind of field I could set if I had a pace bowler in the team.”

Similarly, Nadeem had spoken about how Dhoni had advised the team to set targets during batting.

Dhoni’s influence has not been restricted just to his state team. He made himself available for the low-profile tour of Zimbabwe, going out of his way to make the newcomers feel at home through team dinners, PlayStation contests and chats on the need for the youngsters to retain their individuality in pressure situations.

“The only reason I am here is to be with them, to understand them, to guide them," Dhoni had said at one of the post-match presentation ceremonies. "They have been very good on and off the field even though it’s a short tour. I have to do my part of making them comfortable because till they are comfortable, they won’t approach a senior player and ask what needs to be done.”

Jharkhand return to the Buchi Babu tournament for the first time in 14 years, and Verma said that they took up the invitation the moment it was made. “We usually play one pre-season tournament every year, and this time I thought Buchi Babu tournament would be a good one as we will be playing in Group B in the Ranji Trophy, having made it to the quarterfinal from Group C last season,” he said. “It gives us a good chance to test ourselves against quality teams before the season gets underway.”

Apart from Jharkhand, who are in Group A, Hyderabad, Chhattisgarh, Railways and Uttar Pradesh are the other outstation teams, while TNCA will field three teams – TNCA President’s XI, TNCA XI and TNCA Districts XI. Jharkhand open their campaign against Uttar Pradesh, who will have Suresh Raina in their ranks.

One of the oldest tournaments in the country, having started in 1909-10, it has been played between 14 teams in the recent past. This season, however, it is an eight-team affair as it had to be advanced because of the inaugural Tamil Nadu Premier League, which gets underway on August 27.

“We invited only five outstation teams, as dates of the KSCA tournament (Dr (capt) K Thimmappiah Memorial Cricket Tournament) clash with that of ours,” said Kasi Viswanathan, the TNCA secretary. “Generally, we have the Buchi Babu from August 15. This time, we had to advance it due to the TNPL. That’s why we have eight teams divided into two groups.”

http://www.msn.com/en-in/sports/oth...n-buchi-babu-tournament/ar-BBveJEV?srcref=rss

Back
Top Bottom