• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 6
  • Views Views: Views 1,862

Basil

Contributor
Reaction score
Corey Anderson hits fastest ODI century
151414.2.jpg

A record that stood for more than 17 years was finally broken on New Year's day in 2014. New Zealand’s Corey Anderson clubbed the fastest century in the history of one-day international cricket from 36 balls as the hosts reached 283-4 from only 21 overs in Wednesday’s rain-shortened third one—dayer against the West Indies.

The young allrounder hit 12 sixes and four fours in his 100, beating, by one delivery, the 37-ball record of Pakistan’s Shahid Afridi against Sri Lanka which has stood for almost 18 years.

Anderson finished on 131 not out from 47 balls, as New Zealand scored at an extraordinary 13 runs per over. Anderson reached 50 from only 20 balls, with two fours and six sixes and after hitting four consecutive sixes from the bowling on of Sunil Narine. He then repeated the feat and hit four sixes in an over from Rampaul whose three overs conceded 64 runs.

Anderson was 95 not out after 35 balls, needing a six off the next ball to break Afridi’s record. Though unaware of the beckoning record, he swatted the next ball from spinner Nikita Miller out of the ground to break the world record.

RE: Corey Anderson hits fastest ODI century

Afridi's record broken after 17 yrs. :s

I think with T20s being played on a constant basis, we cud see a 25 ball 100 as well.
Remember, Yuvraj hit a 50 off just 12 balls in a T20 match.

Record wasn't on my mind - Anderson

Corey Anderson, the New Zealand allrounder, was on 95 off 35 balls when he swung a Nikita Miller delivery for six over long leg to complete the quickest ODI hundred in history. One more delivery and he wouldn't have had sole claim to the record, and would have had to share it with Shahid Afridi, who hit a landmark century against Sri Lanka in 1996.

Anderson, though, said the record wasn't on his mind. "No, not really, I just thought it was a pretty quick hundred, I didn't realise that it was the fastest," he said. He hit 14 sixes in his unbeaten 131 off 47 balls to set up New Zealand's crushing victory over West Indies in the third ODI in Queenstown.

Anderson came to the middle in the eighth over and completed his hundred off the first ball of the 18th, allowing little time for any nerves. "I think it was more of 'go with it', the hundred never really got into my mind. I sort of got there so quickly, I didn't have time to think about it. It's just one of those things, you keep going with it, striking it and try and get as many runs on the board as you can. It becomes more about a team than an individual performance."

His innings has already created buzz about Anderson's value at the IPL auction next month. West Indies captain Dwayne Bravo hoped Anderson would be his team-mate in the IPL. "Hope to see him in Chennai Super Kings, the auction is around the corner and hopefully MS [Dhoni] and Flem [coach Stephen Fleming] pick him up, it's going to be a bonus for us, a great knock," Bravo said. "The way how the guy batted, it was not just slogging, you know he played proper cricket shots, that shows someone can bat, has the ability to bat, turn over strike ever so often, hit straight, hit clean, and he's powerful, so why not. This innings is a big innings, it will do him a lot of favours."

Anderson himself wasn't getting carried away. "Those things float about," Anderson said, "I'm happy where I am at with New Zealand, I'm still trying to cement my place as well."

Jesse Ryder, another batsman trying to cement a place in the side, also put in a blistering performance - he smashed the sixth-quickest ODI century in only his second international after a lengthy layoff and, with Anderson, put on a 191-run stand in 75 deliveries for the fourth wicket. "It's nice to have another guy at the other end doing a similar thing," Anderson said. "It's tough for bowlers, they can't get any rhythm, they don't know where the ball is probably going to be going."

Anderson said the innings and the big win was the "best feeling that I've probably had on a cricket field". His captain Brendon McCullum called the centuries a "once-in-a-lifetime sort of performance from two people". "Statistically it (Anderson's ton) is the fastest , I don't know how many ODIs have been played, probably in excess of 3000 (3451), and for him to be No. 1 in terms of the speed with which he was able to get to a hundred, and Jesse being No. 6 is pretty unbelievable really, " McCullum said. "That to me is as clean striking as I have ever witnessed at a ground."

Afridi hails new record holder

Corey Anderson, the new record holder for the fastest ODI century, is an unknown to Shahid Afridi, whose 37-ball century against Sri Lanka in 1996 has now been pushed to second place. "I never heard his name and early morning my nephew told me about his feat and I sort of said the first news of 2014 is of my record being broken," Afridi told AFP. "But I must say it's a great achievement and Anderson deserves all the praise. It needs a super effort to score a hundred off 36 balls."
Afridi said he had hoped his 17-year-old record would last a while more. "I sort of wanted this record to stand until I retire because it has been a big pride for Pakistan and for me and whenever my name comes the record is mentioned," he said. "Now Anderson's name will come but I am sure with the advent of Twenty20 cricket this record will surely be bettered in the future."
When Anderson was asked about Afridi getting news of the record being broken on New Year's morning, Anderson said: "He might be going to try and beat it. It's nice to have that accolade, it's nice to also have the win today."

Back
Top Bottom