Cook has proved his critics wrong: Botham

Reaction score
England cricket legend Sir Ian Botham is convinced that ODI skipper Alastair Cook has done enough to prove his critics wrong.

Botham was initially less than convinced of Cook's credentials at the top of the one-day order.

But after watching him hit 95 not out from just 75 balls at Trent Bridge to level the series with Sri Lanka, Botham admits the skipper with a plodder's reputation has impressed him beyond all measure.

"That wasn't the sort of innings you would normally have expected from Alastair, but it was a brilliant one and it showed the sort of level he is capable of in one-day cricket," said Botham.

"If he plays like that from now on then England will be just fine with him at the top of the order. It was a terrific knock that spoke volumes for his improvement in the one- day game," The Mirror quoted him, as saying.

"I didn't think that we would see him stand there and give it such a whack. But good on him for doing it - he certainly proved me and a few people wrong on that score. That is the benchmark now and having done it once, he will know he can do it again," he said.

England takes on Sri Lanka on Saturday in the fifth and final ODI with the series tied at 2-2.

http://icc-cricket.yahoo.net/newsdetails.php?newsId=16217_1310191620

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock