Clichy signs for City

Reaction score
Defender Gael Clichy has completed his move to Manchester City from Arsenal, signing a four-year deal.

City are reported to be paying around £7m for the full-back, who is Roberto Mancini's first summer signing.

Although Arsene Wenger was keen to keep his fellow Frenchman, Arsenal had little option but to cash in with the 25-year-old about to enter the final year of his contract and indicating he was not willing to agree an extension.

Clichy told the official City website: "I'm really happy to be joining such a great club. I hope I can add to the quality we already have here because we have a fantastic squad who I believe will continue to get better.
"I can't wait to get started and I think anything is possible with this team."

Clichy also revealed that in joining the Blues, he will be re-joining one of his best friends in football in Kolo Toure.

"When I first came to England, it was Kolo Toure and Patrick Vieira who took me under their wing and really looked after me," he said.

"Kolo would pick me up and drop me at home and his wife used to cook meals for me."

The French left-back put pen to paper after passing a medical and agreeing terms. He will now challenge Aleksandar Kolarov for a regular spot in Mancini's starting line-up.

During his eight years with the Gunners, Clichy made 187 Premier League appearances scoring one goal after joining from Cannes in 2003.

Clichy has won 10 caps for France to date, but has not played for his country since 2010.

He became the youngest player to pick up a Premier League medal as part of Arsenal's famous 'Invincibles' team which won the 2003/04 title without losing a single match.

For the past five seasons, he has been a regular in the Gunners side since the departure of Ashley Cole to Chelsea.

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Headlines/0,,12306~2386330,00.html

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock