• Views Views: Views 1,406

mmadhankumar

The Earth will be better without Us..
Staff member
Community Manager
Solutions
Reaction score
saurav_350_010213091817.jpg

The Indian cricket fan's wish for the new year would be for the freefall of the last year-and-a-half to finally stop-and not with a thud. Most things that could go wrong have gone wrong since the highs of the 2011 World Cup triumph.

Those that blame the rise of Twenty20s for the fall in performance in Test matches forget that this Indian team, with Mahendra Singh Dhoni at the helm, has failed in both these formats, with ODIs being the only format in which India have enjoyed some success in terms of a win-loss record, but not in terms of trophies.

Duncan Fletcher has proved himself to be a total failure in his tenure as coach, and the time is ripe for him to be shown the door and for a man as well respected and successful as Sourav Ganguly to be handed the job of guiding the Indian team through this tough time.

The 'Prince of Kolkata' was the man who was given the charge of bringing Indian cricket out of its darkest phase -the match-fixing scandal at the turn of the millennium - and he ended up laying the foundations for the team that went on to appear in two World Cup finals in eight years and was No. 1 in Tests too.

saurav1_660_010213091930.jpg

The man himself is non-committal about whether he would want to take charge of the team, but did leave the door open for an appointment.

"I wouldn't say that I would not want to coach the Indian team, but currently, I haven't given it much thought. Also, I don't believe in thinking too far ahead. Taking things as it comes is how I like to live my life. You never know what lies in store in the future, so why think so much?" Ganguly told Mail Today.

Legendary spinner Bishan Singh Bedi said Fletcher just didn't have the skills to manage a team that has a star in every player, and that Ganguly would be the ideal man to take over from him.

Read More: Clamour grows for Sourav Ganguly to replace Duncan Fletcher to bail out Team India : Cricket, News - India Today

Back
Top Bottom